• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best WBs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

hey guys...can someone give me a small list of all the best waterblocks on the market right now? im just getting into WCing and am trying to learn whats the newest/best stuff out there....planning on getting a WC set up as soon as i compile a parts list and have enough $$ too....VERY excited...i love WCing...lots to learn about! (makes it soooo much more fun). THANKS! :D

Dtek WhiteWater is still the best performing heatsink on the market, followed by the Danger Den RBX and TDX and Swiftech MCW6002. The WhiteWater is $60 for the metal topped block (won't crack like polycarbonate) or $50 for the poly topped, the RBX and TDX are $52 and are poly topped and the MCW6002 is $42 and is solid copper. They're all almost exactly the same, with only 2C separating the WhiteWater and the MCW6002 with a good pump and a high heat output (~100W) from the CPU.

It all depends upon who you ask. Everyone around here seems to think the MCW6000 and 6002 aren't as good as the RBX and TDX because they go by Overclockers.com charts. I used to say the MCW6000 was better but I got a lot of **** for it.

alright guys thanks...jeez...these WBs are kinda ugly looking though lol...or mabe its me

by the way...whats Delta T mean....and is that number better when its lower or higher?

Maybe you need to buy one of Cathar's Storm G5s! can't beat a silver waterblock for the bling factor. It also happens to be the best of the best, with price to match.

jcw122 said:
lol no thanks! $150 is too much for me!

There is always the G4...but still somewhat pricey for the US lads I guess.

Best of the commonly available commercial blocks really is still any of the White Water derivatives (DTek WW, TDX, RBX, Asetek Antarctica), or the MCW600x, just depends on what pump you pair them with.

Lol, $150 or not that Storm has me salivating.

Now I just gotta figure out a way to explain its importance to the wifey. I have a funny feeling the bling factor will rate much higher with her than any of the various ratio/cooling charts.

Is it legal to refer to the Storm as 'Jewelry for men'? If so I think we might just have some common ground to negotiate ;)

Cathar said:
There is always the G4...but still somewhat pricey for the US lads I guess..

Can I take you up on your offer? :D

Cathar said:
Best of the commonly available commercial blocks really is still any of the White Water derivatives (DTek WW, TDX, RBX, Asetek Antarctica), or the MCW600x, just depends on what pump you pair them with.

Any hints on what sort of pumps to pair with these blocks? :confused:

Bugsmasher said:
Now I just gotta figure out a way to explain its importance to the wifey. QUOTE]

Let me know what you come up with...I just keep reminding mine that whatever I buy is less than what she spends on her horse... But I always get grief...

Zetto

Take a look at that graph again linked above. To determine what type of pump you will want pay very close attention to the cooling curve versus the GPH passing through the block. The MW blocks are extremely good at lower flow rates while the RBX does indeed pass them at higher flow rates. Keep a few things in mind when you are looking at pumps. Its the pumps 'head' that tells you how much pressure the pump can sustain. The flow rates for most pumps are decent for comparision but unless the pump can handle the fairly restrictive nature of most watercooling setups then the actual versus real flow rates will vary widely.

If you go with one of the less expensive pumps I would seriously look at the MWs, if you look into something like the monster Laings then I would look at a block that can truly benefit from the high pressure (and therefor higher sustained flow rates despite having a lower over all flow number according to the manufacturer specs) that these pumps generate.

Try to match your block to the pump you select or vice versa. Many people will end up jumping on a 'premium' block only to use a fairly small and quiet pump and dont realize the two arent a particularly good match.

Back