• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 pipes in the WB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

how come some WBs have 3 pipes coming from them instead of just 2...how do those things works? seems kinda weird...i mean...what are the directions of flow in that case?

Well.. the best way i can put it words (bare with me here) ...

Ok you got ONE pipe coming out of the pump this pipe is split in 2 >> these 2 tubes are connected to the sockets on the far left and right of the wb ... now the middle hole is pumping out the hot water (obusiously)..

So how does this improve performance well for beginers were talking more water (more temp diff.) and better flow rate :_) = one frozen cpu

EDIT: nm its one in two out my mistake

Last edited:
water flows into the center one and out the other 2. Usually a Y is used to recombine the 2 outlet lines. The reason is that's the way they were designed.

Gun and Koss. You both said the same thing, but reverse flow. Which is right (if there is a wrong) and why is that way better? (I would think one in-two out. Would help the scavaging effect, kind of like a venturi with a neg water pressure on the side with a higher flow rating.)

sounds about right what zac says...if the middle was an outlet...it might prevent water from hitting the die area...if u think about it...

oops maybe i have it wrong.......... well i my friend has it setup with to intake and one out ... now tht i consider the location of the die it does seem more logical too have the middle out but then wht purpose would having 2 out have?

lol beats me...could just be so they are able to keep the middle one centered over the die with out making the other tubes go all to one side...so its looks all neat and pretty! lol i donno

I think that it's because the design of the RBX/whitewater blocks relies on parallel chanels going to both sides. If there were only one outlet, I think that cooling would not be as uniform. Heres a pic that should make it clearer. See the middle inlet? It's designed to speed up the water before it hits the core, giving better temps.

koss20100 said:
Well.. the best way i can put it words (bare with me here) ...

Ok you got ONE pipe coming out of the pump this pipe is split in 2 >> these 2 tubes are connected to the sockets on the far left and right of the wb ... now the middle hole is pumping out the hot water (obusiously)
What In the heck are you babbling about....
Yeez.
Center BARB (teh pipes are called Barbs) is the INLET (from pump to block)
As teh center Barb is located right abov ewhere teh cpu die lives, teh cenetr barb enables water to forcefully strike the baseplate at the center (right above the cpu die) .
The other to barbs are there to remove the water from the block.
Note that two exit barbs are not neccessary. One is fine...blocks equipped with two exit barbs (3 total) have the inlet barb at the center of the block and most likely cooling channels to BOTH sides of the center. Thus having 2 exit barbs divides the water, and makes it flow in both directions.

Senater_Cache said:
What In the heck are you babbling about....
Yeez.
Center BARB (teh pipes are called Barbs) is the INLET (from pump to block)
As teh center Barb is located right abov ewhere teh cpu die lives, teh cenetr barb enables water to forcefully strike the baseplate at the center (right above the cpu die) .
The other to barbs are there to remove the water from the block.
Note that two exit barbs are not neccessary. One is fine...blocks equipped with two exit barbs (3 total) have the inlet barb at the center of the block and most likely cooling channels to BOTH sides of the center. Thus having 2 exit barbs divides the water, and makes it flow in both directions.

Hey im experined in bull****ting my way through life ;) its how i passed high school .. .....

My fault

Also the 2 barbs on the sides remove the most idle water.... supposedly with these blocks the most idle water (bad for cooling) gathers at the edges of the block and therefore having the water removed there makes cooling efficiency better.

mat1314 said:
Also the 2 barbs on the sides remove the most idle water.... supposedly with these blocks the most idle water (bad for cooling) gathers at the edges of the block and therefore having the water removed there makes cooling efficiency better.
I guess by idle water you mean water that is stagnating in some sort of crevace.
Not likely when talking about blocks, but possible. However water will not sit around for long. there may be sections of a blcok with low flow but that diesnt mean that the water molecules arent being exchanged with new ones constantly.
If say, the Whitewater had NO barbs except the center one...how would water be removed at all. think about what you are saying....it just dont add up.

Back