• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI pentium M motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah thanks for posting that. Hmm...that is interesting..I thought the Pentium M was just Socket 478, but it looks like I am mistaken.

Its beautiful!! :clap:

Should be interesting to see what overclocking options are available in the BIOS. And even more interesting would be seeing how far a Dothan can be pushed! Ok I want one! Its time for my first Intel desktop :D

Hmmmm, I might go Intel next time round. There's little doubt that the Pentium M has the best IPC of any X86 CPU around.....

There was an earlier release of an industrial MB using the 855 chipset for the Pentium M. It didn't offer any overclocking options though. Hopefully, DFI or other manufacturers will start importing these or other boards soon.

And it has a PCI-X slot!

Xaotic said:
There was an earlier release of an industrial MB using the 855 chipset for the Pentium M. It didn't offer any overclocking options though. Hopefully, DFI or other manufacturers will start importing these or other boards soon.

And it has a PCI-X slot!

I agree. With AMD's prices more on par with Intel, I would even most likely be willing to go Prescott, if Dothan is not too expensive and overclocks well (sadly that won't ever be true as it is not even close to my budged), hell I would be very happy to make the switch to Intel.

I can't think of any use I would have for the PCI-X slot though.

@md0Cer said:
Ah thanks for posting that. Hmm...that is interesting..I thought the Pentium M was just Socket 478, but it looks like I am mistaken.

It IS socket 478. Well, there are 478 pin holes on it but it is more compact.

I dont think that this DFI offers many overclocking feautures, I think there is a agreement with Intel not to allow overclocking for the Dothan. But I am sure you can unlock the bios some how. This board should be in the USA by the end of November.
Thanks

Desktop Pentium-M Motherboards

A few months ago I put Dothan (90nm Pentium M) to the test and compared it to an equivalently clocked Athlon 64 and a high-end Pentium 4. In general application performance, a 2GHz Pentium M actually outperformed the desktop chips and even in gaming and workstation applications the Pentium M was competitive, all while running at significantly lower temperatures with much lower power requirements.

The problem is that the Pentium M, although electrically uses the same bus as the Pentium 4, has a completely different pin-out, preventing it from being used in desktop Pentium 4 motherboards. There are also other voltage requirements that most desktop motherboards (and chipsets) cannot meet that prevent the Pentium M from being used as well.

It didn't take long for motherboard manufacturers to put a mobile chipset and a compatible socket on a motherboard and thus while in Taiwan I saw two of the first shipping desktop Pentium M motherboards with AGP support.

AOpen and DFI both have motherboards ready, and are both targeting the Japanese market first. DFI built their board for a particular customer and is planning an enthusiast level board based on the desktop 915 chipset with some overclocking features in the near future. We know that Shuttle has been working on a SFF based on the Pentium M for quite some time now but have yet to see anything from them.

While Pentium M processors are still priced significantly higher than desktop CPUs, the value is in the lower power consumption and cooler operation - so in '05 there may be another, quite attractive option for cool and quiet PCs.

from Anandtech

Quailane said:
It IS socket 478. Well, there are 478 pin holes on it but it is more compact.
ITS NOT socket 478. Why do you think its called 479. 478's wont fit in the socket. Intel did that to keep you from swapping p4's for them and vice versa

DFI needs to clean up the board design so that there is ample room for a real HSF. Those P-M's would probably get better results with something like an slk.

i figure curent p-m's shouldn't produce more than 50w of heat even at max overclocks... it's like cooling p3's all over.

Back