• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooled PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moos3d

Is it just me, or is it a little odd there hasn't been one developed? It would have a relatively small market but I bet if someone like OCZ/Antec put out a good PSU that would be able to be watercooled it would sell well enough. I guess it would work something like a large internal heatsink/waterblock with the inlet/outlet both on the bottom side. I personally would love to see one since it would help eliminate two fans.

Moos3d said:
Is it just me, or is it a little odd there hasn't been one developed? It would have a relatively small market but I bet if someone like OCZ/Antec put out a good PSU that would be able to be watercooled it would sell well enough. I guess it would work something like a large internal heatsink/waterblock with the inlet/outlet both on the bottom side. I personally would love to see one since it would help eliminate two fans.

#1 someone already has made it, dont remember the link, but someone sells them commercially.

#2 someone like antec would never make one because there is no way they would put a warranty on it.

Heres one that i know of.

coolcurrent350.jpg

http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_33&products_id=71

Fully agree Aphex_Tom_9,

Was just staying that someone has marketed this. didnt say it was a good product :D just saying it has been done. There is just way too small of a market for any big company to even consider it.

It is much more fun engineering your own solution anyways

It's just retarted. PSUs are cooled well enough by their own internal heatsinks and fans, typically you shouldnt be running it at it's max load anyway. Watercooling the PSU only adds resistance and heat to your loop.

If you build you own block, they can be very beneficial. Not only does it remove 1-2 fans from your case, it makes your psu run cooler which will give you more stable voltages. It's a lot of work though.

In my system, there are only two fans. 1 PSU fan, 1 CPU fan.

I plan on getting rid of them both!

If you want your system to be as silent as it can be... you will watercool as many air cooled components as you can.

If you are a pro DIY'r, you could find a cost effective way to watercool your PSU.

I have been working on water cooling my Psu for some time. teh only problem is that on
some PSU's there seems to be a slight voltage present on the heatsinks inside. Another
problem is that there are some parts inside that seem to need some air flow to cool as
well. Once i get around those minor problems, I think that I will be good to go :)

Although watercooling a PSU sounds like a good idea (And fun). I would be really worried of any kind of leaks. Especially since the source of your computers power would be watercooled.

Watercooling your PSU can be a dangerous task. The danger of it probably keeps companies like Dtek & Dangerden from making blocks for a PSU because of the danger involved. Any PSU's out there that are setup for this thing look as though they suck. Suck = generic PSU's modded or bad unstable rails......etc......

I personally do not mind the fans in my PSU. One option for those who want a quieter system is to wire the PSU fans to a fan controller. Thats what I did, not for silence though, because the dedicated fan line took a hard hit & no longer works, my fault.............But my scenario would help, at worst you will "barely" hear the PSU fans.......

I agree with Obsolete. A little water leaking into the PSU, along with those line voltages will go a long way towards helping generate a lot of smoke in your rig!

on the other hand, half the fun is in doing something that scares the ssss* outta some folks by doing
somethin they only dream of...

Last edited:
Warnings noted.

Even though I would be watercooling my psu, I would still probably add a large 120mm fan at 7v just incase.

It would probably be wise to have the PSU mounted upside down so that if water does leak from a block it is pouring on your $300 video card instead!

yeah, you would have to get custob clocks that somehow attatch to the MOFSET (well, thats what they were in OLD psu's, maybe its something different in new ones) and then transfers the water to a barb on the psu with plastic,rubber...because last time i touched the heatsink in a running psu (wanted to know how got it got after i ripped out the fan) i got a nice 120 VAC shock...and i personally dont want my whole tower havbing that same effect! (aolthough it would be great security to keep peoples hands off of it...it probably wouldnt do good for the motherboard being grounded to it!)

umm...yeah, actualy, now that sounds like fun. im sure a simple waterblock could be modded to cool a psu, and then just intake some air through your psu before it goes to your rad (gotta have SOME airflow, i mean, comeon! EVERYTHING creates heat!)

yeah...someday...

Back