• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finally killed my motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtb856

I knew it would happen eventually...... I didn't expect the end to come this way though.

I had just received my OCZ PC4000 Gold rev. 2 that day and was in the process of installing it's golden goodness into my mobo. It took more force than usual to install the memory, but the clips closed on both sides so I just attributed it to an engineering mistake.

So unknowing, I boot up my computer and it powers up..... for about half a second and then it crashes. Confused, I take out the memory, switch DIMMs, and install it again....same result. It is then that I realize the sticker on one of the sticks is in a different position that the other one.... and upon closer examination I found...

I had installed one of the stinkin' sticks upside down!!!!! :eek:

Against all odds I had managed to install a ram stick completely upside down, with it actually fitting into the DIMM and locking on both sides!

Fortunately, the ram survived.... I tested it in my brother's computer.

Unfortunately, my motherboard didn't. :(

So I'll be leaving this forum and joining the ranks of ABIT with a brand spankin' new IC7-G Max Advance II .

It's been fun guys :)

Later,

Meatball

Meat don't feel bad !!!! I did the same thing !!!!!!
but I was lucky as I did not fry the mother board or the ram

But..........

that smell from the PSU unit was really bad :beer:

Did you check to see if you might have smoked that ??

Going to miss you buddy :thup:

Dave

Yeah, the PSU's fine as it will power up and everything will turn on..... the memory slots are toast though. I tried combinations of 1 stick and 2 sticks, but nothing worked.

I just picked up an Abit 875P IC7-G Max II from the egg, so it should be here by Sat.

I'll catch you later man :thup:

-Meatball :)

PS. I'll probably pop up here every once and a while to answer random questions, so I'm not totally ditching the MSI area :)

Back