• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RBX question, tubes creating torque

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugsmasher

Quick question here for the vets here in the forums.

Has anyone had problems with the torque created by the tubes connected to an RBX (1 inlet, 2 outlet) CPU waterblock? I am using the spring assembly to hold my waterblock on my CPU- unfortunately my m-board did not have the holes required for direct mounts. This means the pressure is held in place by the 4 springs from the mounting assembly.

One tube leads down to my heater core which has its leads at the bottom of the case (a Chenming 601b/Dragon style case) while the outlets travel up and to the front of the case where my 5-1/4" Typhoon Res is located.

I am using MasterKleer tubing which is slightly less flexible when compared to Tygon. My assumption is that these 3 tubes are exerting a certain amount of torque on my CPU waterblock.

Now to the main question- Has anyone seen or personally used some sort of tubing harness inside the case to reduce the torque on the block? I was thinking of possibly mounting two wires attached to a central ring that surrounds the tubing leads. Using some sort of screw-tight tensioner on the harness would allow me to adjust the harness until it should remove most torque.

The downside to this idea is the added difficulty of card replacement or basically any interior work on the system. Anyone have a better idea?

Tube torque is always a potential problem... the RBX especially due to how narrow it it. The harness is a good idea to take the weight of the tubing off the block.

Just one question Bugsmasher. Before you release the springs with the knurled nuts to tighten the block down, does the mounting clamp feel loose when it's attached to the socket? See if you can move it with your hand from side to side. It shouldn't move at all and if any it would be very slightly and I mean slight. IF it is, take the side clamps off and take that top plate and turn it over.That top plate is cut with a slight angle on the sides to grip the tabs correclty. That slight angle takes into account of any flex. Mine did the same thing when I used that socket clamp. I found out DD (for some reason), got a batch of those socket clamps installed wrong. Once I turned it over, that fixed everything for me. Just one extra thing I thought you could check real quick that I had a problem with. If you need pics, let me know.

SysCrusher-

Cool and thank you! Yeah, I was able to get about...oh...probably almost 3/32 of an inch 'play' once I tightened the mounting bracket to the hold-down tabs. I will definitely try reversing that top plate.

Second question regarding reduction of torque.

Has anyone used the 'smooth curve elbow' fittings? Its basically a 90degree elbow fitting but they make the 90 degree turn by shaping the hard tubing in a 90 degree arc with a radius of about 2 inches give or take. This eliminates the sharper 90 degree angle in most elbow fittings. I know this would make it fairly easy to reduce torque on the CPU block an I *think* it would cause less restriction than the traditional elbow since its a smooth curve. I have seen pics of them on peoples rigs but am having troubles locating them. If you know where they are available please post. I have checked mcmasters.com, usplastics.com, etc.

Back