• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Posts but won't load Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyT/A

Registered
Posts but won't load Windows

working on an old system HP 8650 , 533 Celeron(total speed not FSB) waiting for a 1.1 Celeron upgrade no AGP,

I installed a ATI 7500 64 meg PCI card and it posts to the HP screen (Post mask) and hangs there, when I try to enter bios it says entering setup on the HP screen and then nothing. Anybody have some experience with this I used to have his card on an old Compaq without AGP that was actually six months older than this system.

When I switched the monitor cable, nothing When I remove the card it boots up normally, if the card was dead it wouldn't even Display rite? Also the system is running at 66 FSB. Any ideas?

Last edited:
If the memory was bad would it not work when I pulled the video card or you mean video card memory module? If so how?

Not the video card, the actual system memory. Sometimes a system hang will be from memory not properly seated in the slots.
What were you using for a video card before? Onboard video? I'm a little confused why it boots normally when you take out the video card..

Yes the onboard video, I just reseated the system memory, seems OK. I did not know if it was a bios not recognize video card issue so I cleared the bios, same thing happens

If you can get into the bios with the onboard video, do that and then turn off the onboard video - put in the PCI card, and boot. See what happens then.

good answer, but as I remembered (I Double checked) in the bios setup supplied by Hewlett-Packard there is no option to turn off the onboard video, there was something about PCI bus master but I enabled it and it did nothing.

I would think so. Do you see info on the screen about the video card? Something like "PCI video 64MB"? You might try switching to another PCI slot.

I turned off the Post screen mask , turned off quick Post and ran it without the video card, and it didn't say anything about onboard video.
installed the video card and On the Post list all it states is; system memory passed, system bios shadowed, video bios shadowed , disk.......

it's all taken apart in a box somewhere in the garage but in a few days I will be getting the parts for a new machine , the machine that I am typing on is totally inaccessible as I hate to admit I am in a wheelchair these days

So prior to putting this video card in your current computer, where was it? I'm hoping it wasn't lying in a box in the garage with lots of other computer stuff thrown on it.

No thank God, I rebuilt a new computer and then I bought an all in wonder 9000 Pro AGP , and stored the PCI video card in the protective wrapping in the box on a shelf by the computer.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what's going on here. Video cards are pretty easy to troubleshoot usually.. especially since your computer is booting up just fine with the onboard video (that rules out a lot of things). Make sure you have the video card seated REAL good (give it a good push). If you have a can of air laying around, you might give the PCI slot a good blowing out.

Other than that, I'm stumped..

When I tried to run the onboard video with the AGP video card in place I get nothing, which leads me to believe the board turns the onboard off, can that be the case, when I take the AGP video card out the onboard starts to work right away. Will I still try to disable the onboard video in device manager?

Probably won't do anything different. Maybe not enough power available through the PSU to power the video card???

Man, I'm grabbing at straws now.. If anyone else has some helpful advice, please chime in.

Back