• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Winbond CH-5 (mem noob)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I slapped 2 256mb sticks of winbond ch-5 in dual channel in my dfi ultra infinity. They were rotting away in my dad's comp, so I switched them with my kingston value ram, running same timings and speed as before so nobody notices. They weren't doing well in there because they were paired with a cheap stick of 512MB cas2.5 pc3200 ram. In my comp, the highest I can run perfectly stable is 213Mhz at 2-2-2-5 timings with 3 volts. Is this good? It is better than any memory I have had before, but all other sticks were either sdram or kingston value. Will loosening the timings yield significantly faster speeds? The only thing I am unsure about is my power supply. I have to get a new one, but it is too much money after buying a brand new vid card.

I am running the memory at 3.6 volts now. I have it at 220Mhz 2-2-2-5. I'll keep trying untill the comp locks up.

Wow, I am at 230Mhz now. I will leave folding on over night to see if it is stable in the morning.

*EDIT* Sike, I will leave it at 240Mhz overnight!

Nice quailane!
i want to see how far i can get on my lanparty nf2 b!!

spydeymon said:
i wouldnt leave 3.6v into that ch-5 for too long i heard of alot of ppl friing it.
What is a good voltage then?

The highest I can do stable is 245Mhz dual channel 2-2-2-5. I don't know if the motherboard is the limiting factor or not. I will test this weekend by using the volt-mod on this board.

OUCH! Thats a LOT of voltage!
Have some CH here that does 235 memtest stable @ 236 fsb, 2.5,2,2,11 on 3.0v.... Not really pushed it further, need to work on it.
Be careful voltage wise with that CH, it might be worth loosening the timings a little to see how well it performs....

Try 3.1 volts. I had 3.3volts running through my memory and while it did run tight timings at high speeds (2-2-2-5 @ 240MHZ) it eventually stopped taking it. It would freeze after about 10 minutes of gaming and 3dmark wouldn't even finish. Good luck.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ram is dead. :cry: :cry: :cry:

It was running fine at 240Mhz, but in the nvidia control panel on the desktop, I turned down the fsb speed to 200Mhz and it froze. I think this increased my voltage because there was a lot less load from the cpu. Now I have no ram!!!!
I believe it is dead because the board wouldn't boot after resetting the bios. I am screwed now.

damn thats sad man i bet now u wished u had put the voltage down sooner :p to bad well im sure it was its time to go :p

RIPSTER, what an ironic name.

damn thats sad man i bet now u wished u had put the voltage down sooner :p to bad well im sure it was its time to go
No, it was not that ram's time to go! I can't afford any more.

Dude, after I read this, I turned down the mem speed because of it. I was like, "oh crap! let me turn down the speed right now so I can then disable the vmod!" (it is on a jumper, and disconnects fine while the comp is running)

Man im sorry to hear about your loss. I tried to warn u .
u can prob find some better ram for like 220 bucks worth if u have that kind of money.

Sorry man, that much voltage + the jump was bad. Any chance there is warranty left on them? Even though its your fault it could still be worth a short and return them.

They were bought on newegg almost exactly one year ago when we built my dad's pc.

Back