• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the adam

My question is what does the kcal for a radiator need to be to cool a CPU, GPU, and possibly peltiers. Im only going to use it for the CPU and possibly the GPU (if i can get the $$$ for the WB)

I was looking at these 2 rads:

Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120mm Radiator with a kcal of 1580
Black Ice Pro II Dual 120mm Radiator with a kcal of 720.

Or are both of these underpowered or overpowered.
Any info would be appreciated cause i haven't found much info on the forum about this topic.

I went with the Black ice Xtreme dual 120mm fan, it is more expensive, but you will get better thermal dispense with it.

Typically, the Black ice type radiators are out performed by similar heatercores, but BI radiators are pretty much no hassle radiators, Mounts easily and prepainted.

chances are either would do, but the xtreme would be a bit better. I would go with a heater core personally, check out the Double Heater Cores from Danger Den ($35 + shipping). Better preformance, almost a third the cost. Sure, it might not look as nice, but you could always paint it. Or buy one from 2fresh over at Hardforum pre painted, and your set ($40 + shipping). Or you could try to do it yourself, and buy a 2-302 or 2-342 Heater Core from Autozone (about $20) and put the barbs on yourself. Just make sure you get the copper version, not brass. That might be a little tricky however, so if your not up for it, get one of the above two heatercores (I got one from 2fresh, but to each his own).

thx everyone for the replies and i think i might go with a heater core cause im low on cash. Also Achilles17 thx for answering my next question about where i can get a heater core :)

heh, ESP > j00!!!

I'd go with the 2fresh ones if I were you, its only $35 + $9 shipping ($44) if you JUST want the HC, no fans. I'd get the sanyo denkis on ebay, much better fans than the deltas he sells, although the delta are decent, and would make great case fans if 7 volted. Unless your really strapped, i would take em for $5, still a good deal. Also, I know 2fresh uses the '77 Bonneville HC (Fedco 2-302), which is as good preformance as your gonna get (about online with the 2-342, but the two are VERY simillar). Also, he does a much nicer job of putting on the barbs and painting it than you would, just ask for no fins painted as it could reduce your preformance. much cheaper than a black ice though, and as good or better preformance.

thx for welcoming me to the forums and thx for telling me about the 2fresh kits :) . I think im gonna go with the 2fresh kit cause i have never done any acual serious mods and i also dont have the tools for the job. Also thx for telling me about the performance thing with the rad cause i was wondering if i should get the black or unpainted rad.

I've got a coolermaster wave master case so I didn't have the luxury of having a large radiator and big WC'ing setup.

So, I went with a pair of black ice radiators. From what I hear, they are much more effecient than heater cores.

One is a single 80mm micro that came with my swiftech kit and the other is a dual 80mm I got from dangerden. I noticed that they now have a triple 120 mm black ice model :drool: I'd love to have that but I just can't bring myself to ripping up my $150 wavemaster. Temps are already mid 30's*C

adam, you can get a black HC and it will work just as well as an unpainted one, just ask him NOT to paint the fins, as thats what deteriorates preformance. Painting outside = fine, Painting Fins = bad

o ok thx for the info ill ask him to not paint the fins. Good thing u told me i was gonna email him later on tonight.

Painting the fins is not necassarily bad as the effective part is about 1/8th of an inch in. So, aslong as the paint does not go more than an 1/8th you are fine. Weapon has good picture's backing up this claim.

well there is a debate about it, ill give you that, but it most certainly does not HELP your temps. And the fact that the fins are usually covered by your shroud/fans anyway, gives you no real reason to paint them.

Bad ConNecTioN said:
Painting the fins is not necassarily bad as the effective part is about 1/8th of an inch in. So, aslong as the paint does not go more than an 1/8th you are fine. Weapon has good picture's backing up this claim.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=173245

That thread got me started on a new mod for cores - no results as of yet but it should be interesting when it is finished....stuck waiting for some gear to arrive as usual. :-/

Back