• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prescott in a p4p800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregs45s

Registered
Stuck my 3.0E in my p4p800 today to see what it would do. Long as I kept fsb under 230 it worked ok, anything higher it would reboot, no matter the voltage. It worked up to 3.6ghz in my gigabyte board. ideas?

hmmm...a little vague there. Which P4P800. They start with 848p chipsets up to 875p chipset. And which Gigabyte did you have? And why the switch? Seems like you had a good OC going

Ok p4p800 deluxe I believe, Id have to go look. 865 chipset. I had an 8knxp gigabyte board, and something went bad in it, and it went to pasture. I got a 3300mhz clock on the 2.6c chip I have, and then what is in my signature for the prescott 3.0E. Was in a pinch and tight for cash, so got the Asus board, couldnt find the same gigabyte board I had. Currently running 249 fsb on the 2.6c chip stable. Thought Id try my 3.0E and see how it faired on this board, and best I could do is 229 fsb, didnt matter if I went 1:1 or 5:4. Voltage made no difference. Board is the only difference, everything else is the same as what I had on my old board. I hope I didnt smoke my chip on the old board, and that its a bios flash thing. I havent done any updates since july when I bought the board. I have to do a reboot and Ill check my bios version and post back. hope this info helps some

How bad's the Vcore droop? If it's ~100+ mV, maybe compensate w/some extra Vcore, or do the droop mod.

How 'bout the FET temps. If your board's a ver 1.xx, it doesn't have as robust power circuitry as a ver 2.xx (less FETS, IIRC).

And even though it sounds ridiculous, how's the +12V rail looking on your PSU. I'd expect expect a True Control 550 should do OK, but we've seen pretty sturdy PSU's brought to thier knees on the +12V ATX during Pressie OCing.

Oh yeah, one last thing. How's your temps, remembering that Asus/AsusProbe measures low (off the socket, not the die)?

Just some ideas...

Strat

<edit>

Just noticed your later post showing BIOS v 1002. I'd definitely upgrade to the latest, or pretty dayemmm close. Your BIOS is definitely not Prescott compatible (or more correctly 'OEM designed Prescott compatible'), though it may be (apparently) working. My P4C800-E will not support Prescott w/any BIOS earlier than 1015. Any lower ver BIOS won't even boot! I'd definitely upgrade, IMNSHO - I'm surprised you can even boot a Pressie w/1002!!!

Last edited:
Well my psu I know is good. I used it to run an overclock of 3681 on my gigabyte board before I backed it off because of heat. Dunno revision level on the board, but I suspect its not the latest, thought I seen 1.4 somewheres? I downloaded the latest bios update for it, however this is different then the gigabyte I grew used to, so anyone got info on how to do it and not botch it?

Some people will argue about this, BUT I have used the asus update utility for every bios update I have ever done with this machine and it has never failed me.

Go to the asus site and look for it in the utility section for your board, they just released a new one, 5.30 or something. If you cant find it, post your email addy and I will send it to you, it is only about 3 meg in size.

Capt Fiero is generally correct, IMHO.

I've flashed my BIOS' (four boads, total) many times using all three methods, including the internet method (AsusUpdate). As long as you've got a reliable internet connection (preferably BroadBand - less chance of noise/drops), and a reliable PC, and power to your PC, you should do fine. I'd suggest the US Asus.com server if you live Statside, and the German (.de) server if you live on the continent. I've seen some intermitantcies when attempting to connect w/the Taiwan (.tw) server sporadically (at least for us in the Western Hemisphere). I've used the internet BIOS update Utility at least 6 - 8 times w/o a problem, though I generally use, and feel safer using, the 'tradtional' floppy method.

Just launch your AsusUpdate Utility (it was included on your Asus P4P800/P4c800-E CD - The same CD as your INF Drivers, AusuProbe monitoring utility, etc.). The rest will be GUI oriented, & pretty intuitive. If you've got the AsusUpdate version from the original CD it will probably 'notify you' it needs to update itself (automatically off the internet), before you proceed to d/l & install a later BIOS.

Again, this is all very intuitive, IRL, and much easier than it sounds when explained in words. Load the AsusUpdate from the CD, if you haven't yet done so, & launch it. You'll figure out the rest - It's that simple.

HTH

GL

Strat

Ok got the bios flashed to 1004 now. Lil different then how gigabyte goes about it. Looking thru the asus website, found the part on cpu compatibility with mobo's and found that mine was compatible with 1003 bios and later. Kinda is shocking it even booted with stock settings. Will shutdown and try the prescott and see how she burns.

Ok either A) the AI booster thing is interfering with the overclock, or B) this thing hates prescotts. It gets unstable over 230, but I noticed in all the monitor software that no matter what I did to vcore in bios, its stayed the same. I took it off auto in AI booster, and was able to raise it where it showed change in the monitor programs.

update:
Ok far as I can get it stable has been 229fsb with a 5:4 divider. vcore doesnt seem to matter. Either my chip has taken a hit somehow since I last ran it on my gigabyte board or this thing doesnt like prescotts,lol

Last edited:
Might be interesting to put the Pressy back in the Gigabyte mobo, & see if she'll still do 240 X 15.

FWIW - I've never D/L'd or used AI Booster. I keep everything extraineous (on-board LAN, on-board audio, instant music, etc.) disabled, and run ALL Bios settings manually. You might try removing AI Booster, or reverting to a BIOS that will support your cpu, but doesn't have the Booster thingie. Manual settings are always the best, IMO, if you know what your doing.

Oh yeah, some peeps found disabling 'USB Legacy Support' helps OC stability, but you'll lose the ability of an external USB device to 'wake-up' your machine from a 'sleep' or 'suspend' state. All my boards have this feature disabled, like I said, along w/any other features I can disable. I use all but 2 of my machines as dedicated Distributed Computing crunchers, so they're bare-bones builds.

But they DO produce very nicely! :burn:

And inexpensively, too! :cool:

GL, again.

Strat

I`ve had press3.0 in my asus p4p800 up to 3.9ghz no probs! That was on watercooling, though.

Ok well I uninstalled that windows based overclock junk. That alone did wonders. It was screweing around with voltage settings etc upon startup it seems. vcore is up to 1.475 I believe, and running at 3.54ghz atm. Of course my vcore readings look way different in the monitor software, not sure who to believe. Stable so far. Did some ducting to help shed some heat and cool the mosfets. As for a gigabyte board, I see the version 1's are going for a hundred now, which work fine for prescotts, but suck for northwoods. Might snag one. My old one was up to just shy of 3.7ghz and 1.45 v I think. Seemed temps were what was slowing me down. Got my eye on a swiftech kit with a 120mm radiator by christmas.

Back