• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocz ddr booster disapointing day :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spydeymon

Well i got my ddr booster today and tried to slap it in my nf7 but to my surprise it didnt even fit properly in slot 3 like it says on the ocz site theres some little round black things that make the hs on the ddr boosterto move upwards and it push's the ram in slot 2 abit twards slot 1. After finally egtting it in i pumped it up to 3.3 to see how far i could get nothing over 220 seems to work for me pc just restarts after i get the loading windows thing i tried everything im at 220 with no booster so its pretty depressing. Either my board just doesnt like the high fsb or i mihgt need a vdd mod. if anyone sees something i missed out on plz let me know.

(1) did you clear your CMOS (2) don't raise the DDR volts yet wait until you get the system up an running first then go up little at a time due to it's new an might need some burn in time first (3) makesure you have the latest bois :attn:

Are you sure the 2-2-2 special from mushkin would be ok at 3.3 volts, jeez, seems kinda high to me. Also, if you have your ram at a higher voltage, yes, obviously you can overclock more, but doesn't it also decrease the life span of your memory?

Boegy3 said:
Are you sure the 2-2-2 special from mushkin would be ok at 3.3 volts

It's perfectly fine at 3.3v. ;) The 2-2-2 Special uses Winbond BH-6 chips. They eat 3.3v for breakfast.

Spydeymon, the thing that is interfering is called a capacitor. OCZ said it would fit in the 3rd slot (farthest from CPU). I think you may have gotten the 1st and 3rd slot confused. The heatsink on the booster can be slightly trimmed to fit in slot 1 though.

Your Vtt voltage probably isn't scaling correctly. Vtt needs to stay at 1/2 of Vdimm for proper stability. Many NF7s will only set Vtt at 1/2 of Vdimm up to a Vdimm of 2.9-3.1v. Try 3.0v with your booster. The Vtt might be close enough to be able to keep stable, and still give your RAM a bit more juice. The only way to solve the problem completely is to do a Vtt mod to the board.

Boegy3 said:
Are you sure the 2-2-2 special from mushkin would be ok at 3.3 volts, jeez, seems kinda high to me. Also, if you have your ram at a higher voltage, yes, obviously you can overclock more, but doesn't it also decrease the life span of your memory?
this is overclockers-forum,not an institute for caffee drinking women.
:clap:

As ZachM said, vtt is the most likely issue, the NF7 can track to a max of ~ 3.2v so drop to under that and see what happens.
Do the boosters not need calibration of some sort once they are installed? Not 100% sure though.

Spidey,

In addition to what was stated above...have you done the L12 mod to your board? It is not in your sig so I can't tell. If not, it could help you reach higher fsb, as well.

Twister1234 said:
this is overclockers-forum,not an institute for caffee drinking women.
:clap:

True, but don't questions, like mine, lead to answers, which i was given, which, in turn, lead to better overclocking? :clap:

Reefa_Madness said:
Spidey,

In addition to what was stated above...have you done the L12 mod to your board? It is not in your sig so I can't tell. If not, it could help you reach higher fsb, as well.
fixed sig yes i have done a L12 mod

vtt tracking is only good up to 3.2v..... after that it's nothing more than a waste of time and probably counter productive on an NF7/S board. You want above 3.2, then go for the vtt mod and be very careful as a messy job will surely kill the board. I debated doing the same thing to one of my boards but since I'm happy with my low voltage TCCD ram I've decided against it. So my BH-5 will have to wait to really shine some day.... :-/

after what someoen said i didnt bother trying more then 3.06v on ram and i didnt get any increase in fsb
and the booster push;s my ram when i have in the last slot furthest from cpu
slot one wont work cause of that little black thing sticking out of mobo. so i gave up
pc would just restart while windows logo starts when i had the damm booster and tried over 220 fsb with 2-2-2 timings maybe ill try 3.2v but i dont think my mobo and this booster are getting along very well maybe i should get them both stoned :)

Well got some good news man thx to the guy who told me use 3.2v :) i got to 236 fsb with 2-2-2 timings whooohooo!!!! :) how hot can nb get its at 22 C

Oh ya this is in duel chan also :) the hs on the booster got pushed up from the last slot that it fit in the 1st slot no prob :)

nForce2 becomes unstable when it hits around 50C, had that issue with Epox 8rda3i, because NB is passive cooled.

Last edited:
update well its wasnt stable at 236 with 2-2-2 timings had to bring it to 235 and 2.5-2-3-11 timings still aint that bad dont see a big dif in benchmarks and such with looser timings i dont get why everyone freaks over tight timings i dont think it plays a big effect in performancei think id rather have a 260 fsb with 3-4-4-11 then 236 with 2-2-2-11

spydeymon said:
update well its wasnt stable at 236 with 2-2-2 timings had to bring it to 235 and 2.5-2-3-11 timings still aint that bad dont see a big dif in benchmarks and such with looser timings i dont get why everyone freaks over tight timings i dont think it plays a big effect in performancei think id rather have a 260 fsb with 3-4-4-11 then 236 with 2-2-2-11

It would be interesting to test that theory (260 vs 236), but I would place my money on the 236 at the tight timings. You could test it for yourself by doing some benches at 220-225 with tight timings then some at 236 or so with looser timings and see what kind of 3D scores, superpi and bandwidth scores you get with each setting.

Back