• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU OC would require DDR533

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo_peter

I've noticed that the DDR533 are really expensive relative to the DDR400s. I was just wondering what type of CPUs would require this kind of fast memory? P4 2.4A? Barton 2500+ mobiles? Any other types of cpus that will run memory that fast?

Any cpu can run memory that fast. It is the motherboard that I am worried about. Also some chips can overclock higher than others so that is the most important factor. Any unlocked cpu can obviously use any fsb and still keep its max overclock though. You would want ram that can do better fsb's than the cpu can, or else it becomes the bottleneck.

You're talking about DDR, not DDR-2, right?

270MHz + requires such memory, unless you have some TCCD or BH-5, then you can just O/C that which is what I would do.
DDR533 has horrid timings to start with and usually has less CAS capability at lower clockspeeds unless it's from a respectable make.
RAM like Crucial's BallistiX can hit DDR600 on loose timings, and DDR400 at uber-tight timings.

I may have been too vague, I was wondering what type of chips of the OCability to make use of DDR533? I know with the slowest speed of a new core will probably be the most overclockable and more likely use a faster memory just because u have to set FSB really high... Cause i know the old 2500+ bartons can make good use of fast ram like that, cause they can scale and u can push the FSB way up with that chip, but right now what other chips can do similiar? Anyone know?

Back