• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG Dual Channel Memory Question!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

OK, here is the situation,
Both my dad and I are getting ready to upgrade our PCs to Athlon64 rigs based on nForce4 architecture. OK, now we are both straped for cash and cannot spend more than $275 CAD on Ram before tax and shipping and that basically limits me to 512MB of memory for now.

There are two memory modules that stick out the most to me. The first one is OCZ5501024ELDCGLE-K (550MHz CL2.5 OCZ 512X2 GOLD) twin pack of memory which runs $478. OK, now, the OCZ533512EL (533MHz CL2.5 OCZ 512MB Cu) costs $241.11. If you do the math, the 1024MB stuff works out to be $239 for half of the twin pack 550MHz CL2.5 stuff which is cheaper than the 533MHz stuff!!!!

My question today is simple, if I go half and half with my dad in on one of these packs, is it possible to run twin pack memory modules by them selves (one in my PC and one in my dads) or am I stuck with going with the 533MHz stuff?

P.S - I dont want no 256X2 dual channel kits, fore I know OCZ makes them but I wanna be able to expand to 2GB some day without having to throw out my memory. My plan eventually is to get another one of these kits and then just put the two sticks back together in one of our PCs and install the other twin pack into the other rig.

This sounds confusing but I'm sure somebody knows what I'm talking about. Save money and getting faster memory too!

OC-Master

Ofcourse you can split a "dual channel kit" up. All it is is 2 sticks of exactly the same ram. Which is what you need to run dual channel stable.

Back