• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Codegen S-201-1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugsmasher

Just wondering if anyone has used or knows someone with one of these cases-

Codegen S-201-1 Server Case

For obvious reasons this could be a really nice WCing case. Its a $100 savings from the Mountainmods double cases and is ready from what I can tell for just about any modification you would want to throw at it.

I am considering it but always like to get some feedback if possible from those that know the case.

The Codegen cases I've seen, and the one I've owned, have all been crap quality as far as I'm concerned. I'd go with the Yeong Yang as they've been getting very good reviews lately. They aren't exactly Cooler Master cases in terms of looks, but the build quality is supposed to be VERY good. Just don't plan on taking it to any LAN parties as they're unusually heavy cases.

Nah, not much of ya Lan gamer yet. No local groups that do it with any regularity here so 'big-n-heavy' doesnt really bother me.

I have to admit I do like Y-Y quite a bit. Not quite as aesthetically interesting as the Mountain-mods cubes...but its pretty close at least. The thing I like best about this type of case is the ability to run separate loops- one for the vid, one for the CPU and to keep it relatively quiet by using push/pull fan/shroud/rad combos to keep the airflow up. Might also try a pump submerged in the coolant on this go around for the vid card.

Thanks for the input.

Alacritan said:
The Codegen cases I've seen, and the one I've owned, have all been crap quality as far as I'm concerned. I'd go with the Yeong Yang as they've been getting very good reviews lately. They aren't exactly Cooler Master cases in terms of looks, but the build quality is supposed to be VERY good. Just don't plan on taking it to any LAN parties as they're unusually heavy cases.

I have a Codegen S-101 and I agree, it's crap quality. If it's any indicator of what the S-201-1 would be like, run and don't look back.

Just to share my misery, here's a short description of my S-101...

The frame is made of soft thin metal, a little stronger than maybe an aluminum beer can. There is no support for the PSU, so if you have a heavy brick-PSU like a PCP&C, Fortron, OCZ, etc., there's risk of it bending the back panel. I installed an aluminum L rail in the back of the case for extra PSU support.

The panels fit like crap... had to do a bunch of dremeling to fit all of it. It does have a MASSIVE amount of space though. If you can get one for less than $30, and you weren't planning on moving your case around, it might be worth considering.

I'm still kicking myself for not dropping the extra cash to get a CM Stacker.

Last edited:
The only Codegen case I ever owned was my very first computer I got from Mwave as a barebones system. From the day I got it the case door was a pain in the *** to get on, due to warping of the metal preventing the tabs from going into the slots properly. And the PSU was crap too. And so was the front bezel. I don't know what model it was, just an ugly beige mid tower.

I'm quite surprised that server case is so expensive actually, because I couldn't see anyone paying more than about $80 for it. They are junk.

Get the Yeong Yang, definitely.

Back