• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transporting a case with liquid cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RP Racing

Do you have to drain one when you move the case, ie moving to a new house or if its for lan partys? I want to use a Swiftech system when I build my new computer next summer. Since I'm planning on moving to a new hous ein fall, I want to know the best way to transport it.

Ummm.... I move my computer all the time and I have water cooling. I guess it all depends on if you plan on tipping it on it's side and if you have everything sealed up or not (which you should anyway). But I have never had a problem moving my computer with water cooling without draining it first.

The only thing you have to worry about is a shock making the block crack the core (assuming you have an exposed die like the aXP's.)

I move mine all the time (even across the country.)

ive taken my rig (estimated 80+ lbs ATM) to highschool a few times, and its been in the car when im driving a few times. If there was gonna be a problem, it wouldve happened allready :)

I'd only worry if you were making a large change in altitude. If you go up 100,000 feet you'll develop pressure in your system and that could cause leaks. If your system is properly sealed, and all your fittings are clamped. you'll be fine. I've taken mine to a lan party before with no problems. I've also turned the entire thing updside down when purging air from it. No problems at all. :thup:

just make sure everything is secured. i.e. pump and rad. I don't think I'd want to transport mine right now seeing as how I'd have a 7lb pump swinging around inside :p

Thats good to know. I dont know anyone locally that even does WC. Never seen one in person, yet.

Yep,

From what I have read when it comes to moving a WC'd system it boils down to how your components are in the case. If they are secure and wont move and its a truly sealed system you shouldnt have any problems. If your pump is just sitting at the bottom of the case or only being held in place with suction cups I would suggest finding a way to tighten it down in a more permanent fashion.

Anytime the components move they are exterting pressure on the connections and waterblock. This can result in leaks or even worse a shifted or non-true seating of your waterblocks.

Outside of that moving one shouldnt be a big problem. Make sure things are fastened down and you should be good to go.

Back