• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running out of coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuPaKiLLeR

Registered
Can any1 tell me about coolant solution....
Im running out of the stuff that came w/my kit
need to get more....whats the best..and where to get it?

Thanks

Most do a mixture of distilled water and antifreeze or something else to prevent corrosion or bacteria growth.

Use a 10:1 ratio of distilled water and antifreeze. The crap that came with your kit is probably the same, maybe with an antibacteria additive too. A touch of iodine will take care of that.

Just a little addition to Alacritans post-

When choosing an antifreeze I would suggest using one of the 'Low Tox' varieties. Those are the Propylene Glycol antifreezes as opposed to the Ethylene Glycol ones. Its supposed to be a bit easier on the WCing system.

If it matters it seems they come in red, green, and blue. The blue is a little bit of a challenge since its a VW/Audi type of antifreeze.

Honestly, if you're not running dissimmilar metals in your watercooling system, don't use antifreeze, as you have no reason to.

Personally, just plain distilled water and a few drops of food coloring for color work perfectly for me, and require very little maintainance. But only do this if you are sure you ahve only copper in your system.

Fyberwire said:
Honestly, if you're not running dissimmilar metals in your watercooling system, don't use antifreeze, as you have no reason to.

Personally, just plain distilled water and a few drops of food coloring for color work perfectly for me, and require very little maintainance. But only do this if you are sure you ahve only copper in your system.

What do you do about growth?

JT

If it's all copper, I'd still suggest using Hydrx. It's anti-everything, corrosion, growth, you name it. And for the small quantity used, it won't affect your temperatures a bit.

Fyberwire said:

I do that too and now i have a big load of white crap growing everywhere.

Waiting on my friend to get some Copper sulphate (CuSO4) to clear it out.

Fyberwire said:
Honestly, if you're not running dissimmilar metals in your watercooling system, don't use antifreeze, as you have no reason to...

Reasons to use antifreeze:

1. It is an excellent anti-growth additive. After running my system for 2+ years without a fluid change with the case open (therefore admitting light) I have absolutely no growth whatsover in my system.

2. It is an excellent corrostion inhibitor. Likewise, after 2 years, my system (clear block top allows for good observation) is a shiny as the day it was new.

3. It is an excellent lubricant for your pump. My Hydor L30 is still nice and quiet and has never been plagued with the start up problems others have reported.

4. In small amounts sufficient to accomplish all of the above, antifreeze has a negligible effect on cooling, as the viscosity increase in very small.

5. Anti-freeze will not cloud or otherwise obscure clear tubing like some additives.

I'll second Busmasher's recommendation for propylene glycol; No need to put toxic material in your comp.

If you want an anti-growth a small amount of Iodine (2 teaspoons give or take a lil bit) is enough for most WCing system unless you have a massive reservoir. Its readily avialable in just about any neighborhood pharmacy.

use hydrx and mix it with ur distilled water. its pretty cheap like 2 dollars a bottle. it does everything u want. its green too.

hafa said:
Reasons to use antifreeze:

1. It is an excellent anti-growth additive. After running my system for 2+ years without a fluid change with the case open (therefore admitting light) I have absolutely no growth whatsover in my system.

2. It is an excellent corrostion inhibitor. Likewise, after 2 years, my system (clear block top allows for good observation) is a shiny as the day it was new.

3. It is an excellent lubricant for your pump. My Hydor L30 is still nice and quiet and has never been plagued with the start up problems others have reported.

4. In small amounts sufficient to accomplish all of the above, antifreeze has a negligible effect on cooling, as the viscosity increase in very small.

5. Anti-freeze will not cloud or otherwise obscure clear tubing like some additives.

I'll second Busmasher's recommendation for propylene glycol; No need to put toxic material in your comp.

anti-freeze do cloud tubing. even the vw/audi antifreeze clouds tubing. at least it did to mine

situman said:
anti-freeze do (sic) cloud tubing. even the vw/audi antifreeze clouds tubing. at least it did to mine

Interesting...

Situman, a few questions, as they may help the original poster in their final decision:

1. What type of tubing are you currrently using?
2. What type(s) of coolants have you run during the lifetime of said tubing?
3. Have you used only distilled water in your system?
4. Does your system employ dissimilar metals, i.e., copper and aluminium?

1) Currently tygon
2) Before, Clearflex60 vw/audi
3)Distilled and the antifreeze
4)Whitewater Alu top and Maze4 gpu. Had both for a very short time.

Right now Storm G4, FuzionHL, Zchipset with polytop. Rad has always been Thermochill 120.3

Hydrx clouds tubing too. It clouded my tygon when I first had my watercooling setup.

situman said:
1) Currently tygon
2) Before, Clearflex60 vw/audi
3)Distilled and the antifreeze
4)Whitewater Alu top and Maze4 gpu. Had both for a very short time.

Right now Storm G4, FuzionHL, Zchipset with polytop. Rad has always been Thermochill 120.3

Hydrx clouds tubing too. It clouded my tygon when I first had my watercooling setup.

Using a simple process of elimination, I see three things that are different in our systems:

1. Your system at one point had dissimilar metals, i.e., the Alu top on the WW and the CU on the Maze4 gpu.

2. The vw/audi antifreeze is ethylene glycol w/silicates; I'm using Sierra propylene glycol w/o silicates.

3. You are using Tygon, while I have clearflex.

So as ususal, the answers lead to more questions:

1. Did the clearflex cloud?
2. Have you always used the vw/audi antifreeze?

I'm leaning towards the conclusion that ethylene glycol and/or silicates may be the culprit here...

I've always heard that Tygon doens't discolor or cloud as easily as Clearflex, but that may be inaccurate. I think it has more to do with coolant and addtive selection. Hydrx is known to stain tubing over time, but you can only tell if you drain the lines or stop using Hydrx. The brand of antifreeze may also impact clouding of the tubing as a result of different ingredients and dyes. My Tygon is completely clear after using 15% Peak antifreeze / 85% water in it. I added a bit more Peak after I got my solid transmission cooler (radiator).

Back