• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fridge Rad I found :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[KX3]rAge

Hey, I'm looking to get a really cheap yet well performing WC rig going. So far I've got my tubing, clamps, and 4 120mm Sanyo Denki fans.
I went into my basement remembering we had an old fridge in there, and I'm in need of a radiator/heatercore ;)
Well this is what I pulled out.
IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

and in comparison to a CD
IMAG0036.jpg

Anybody know if this would cool sufficiently?? I can not test it yet as I still need a waterblock and pump!
But from what you can see, how do you think it would work??
The tubing is aluminum and is about 3/8" OD.

It would cool well without fans, but you will run into problems with pressure drop. You will need a high powered pump to get a high performance out of it.

[KX3]rAge said:
Hey, I'm looking to get a really cheap yet well performing WC rig going. So far I've got my tubing, clamps, and 4 120mm Sanyo Denki fans.
I went into my basement remembering we had an old fridge in there, and I'm in need of a radiator/heatercore ;)
Well this is what I pulled out.
and in comparison to a CD
Anybody know if this would cool sufficiently?? I can not test it yet as I still need a waterblock and pump!
But from what you can see, how do you think it would work??
The tubing is aluminum and is about 3/8" OD.

Pros:
cheap?
Cons:
Boku resistance, not much surface area, all bare aluminum.

Its made to be used with a weak compressor. Im guessing it would perform horribly unless you have some giant 27" fan blowing on it hard.

Hmmm, in that case it looks like the search for a decent rad/heatercore continues....

greenman100 said:
I'd use it

your flowrate will be limited, but chances are you won't need a fan.

THe people that said you'd need a 27" fan don't know what they're talking about
That's what I figured, I think I'll get the rest of my setup first so I can test it and if I don't get the temps I'm hoping for I'll get a heatercore or find something better.
Anyone else know where to find good rads?
do microwaves have rads in them??

[KX3]rAge said:
That's what I figured, I think I'll get the rest of my setup first so I can test it and if I don't get the temps I'm hoping for I'll get a heatercore or find something better.
Anyone else know where to find good rads?
do microwaves have rads in them??

The pump will be a key factor

you need so maintain 1gpm or better

$20 at an autoparts store will get a good heatercore

no rads in a microwave

You could cut it up into 2 or 3 pieces and put them parallel, that way your flowrate wont suffer as much.

Dood,

Everyone is going to give you a different opinion. Do us all a favor. Don't listen to anyone and give it a try. See what kind of results you get. Then post back on here about it.

Back