• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a one 120mm fan radiator do the trick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deception``

Will a single radiator solution do the trick?

I am looking to put togther a w/c system in the near future. I had inquired about my case in an earlier thread, and I have decided to stick with the Coolermaster lineup. It has been made obvious to me that my current case will require modding, so my question to you is this: how will a one fan-radiator solution cool? I understand that you cannot give me exact numbers, but I'd like to know if there is a BIG difference between single and dual-rad systems. Let me also add that fan noise is of no concern for me. My only goals are to have lower cpu temps (I plan to w/c an A64) and still keep things reasonably neat in my case. At the moment, I only plan to cool the cpu and possibly the gpu, but definitely not the nb as it will add too much heat in the system. My current choice of a w/b is the TDX 64. What are your thoughts on this? Additionally, would anyone care to suggest an effect single radiator that I can screw to a blowhole?

deception``

It'll do the job but you probably won't get the results you're looking for. It won't be a dramatic improvement over high end aircooling at least. If you get 120mm radiators, get two and put one on your intake and one as a blowhole. Dtek sells a couple and you can always get Thermochill and Black Ice 120mm radiators, though they do cost a bit more.

I don't think I can fit a dual rad system in my current case.....

I was contemplating a PC 75B; do you think I could fit a good dual-rad system in there without mods? I'm not looking for the best watercooling ever, but I would like to see some sort of temp reduction from air cooling.

deception``

I wouldn't waste my money on a Lian Li case if I were you. Have you checked out the Cooler Master Stacker case? It's plenty big enough for a double heatercore or two 120mm rads and your pump and all your tubing. A double heatercore won't get you the best watercooling ever. It's just average. A single 120mm rad is well below average.

Wow. Whats stuff like THIS doing on the forums.......

If I wanted to see this I'd just go and see my ex, which I will this weekend..... ;)

Cool, the posts have been deleted.....

wahh what did i miss ??? LOL.

Back on topic, I have a Black ice extreme raditator, i use 2 92mm fans on it one for blowing through the rad and the other for sucking through the rad, so it makes it more efficent. I made a custom Shroud so i could only fit 92mm fans, but my rad without the shroud will fit 2 120mm fans.

So to answer youre question. 2 heads are better then one, but 1 will suffice but it wont do the job on a highly overclocked cpu so you will prob be hamperd by higher temps.

CandymanCan said:
wahh what did i miss ??? LOL.

Back on topic, I have a Black ice extreme raditator, i use 2 92mm fans on it one for blowing through the rad and the other for sucking through the rad, so it makes it more efficent. I made a custom Shroud so i could only fit 92mm fans, but my rad without the shroud will fit 2 120mm fans.

So to answer youre question. 2 heads are better then one, but 1 will suffice but it wont do the job on a highly overclocked cpu so you will prob be hamperd by higher temps.

You just missed some posts of some dodgy naked l*sbian chicks posted...... No big deal really, happens every day...... :eek:

Well, not really :p

OK. Thanks for all of the replies. I apologize for the delay. Let me fill you in:

1. I suggested the PC-75B only because it's huge, has a removable tray (a must for me) and has removable drive cages, which would come in handy for cooling.

2. It was my early suspicion that a highly o/c'd A64 would require a dual-rad solution. I'm looking to keep my temps in the 30's to low 40's, and probably cool the gpu as well.

3. My current case is the Coolermaster ATC 201B SXT. I absolutely love this case, but it would be quite hard to fit watercooling in here without a dremel of some sort. I'd rather not use some chieftec/cheming clone, as they simply do not appeal to me whatsoever. I had entertained the idea of a CM stacker, but I think that they are aesthetically inferior to some of CM's earlier designs (such as my case). Here is an idea of what my case looks like:

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/94/2

4. Where is the best position to fit the rad on the case? And could I place a dual rad solution........say at the bottom right of a LL in front of 80mm fans blowing air in? Or do the rad fans need to make direct contact with outside air?

5. Once again, thanks for all of your replies.

deception``

LL's are not a waste of money. The PC75B doesnt have a removable motherboard tray. The big LL's dont have tray's. I have one and its plenty roomy, It has lots of room for a dual 120 heater core in the top or the front if you want to do some modding. I'm trying to figure out a way to get 2 of them in mine.

Its a lil less money but the case below has definite possibilities for dual rad WCing.

Y-Y Dual Case

I believe that each 'side' of this case is just under 7". One dual 120mm heater core could be placed on each side and with minimum modification be setup in series. The side of the case where the 5-1/4" drives mount should have mucho space behind the drives available for Pump/Res placement. It would make a very simple Pump>HC1>HC2>Waterblocks>Res(or back to the pump) setup.

I was warned by someone that Codegen Cases can have quality issues but this one for the same price as the LL really leaves modding and WCing options wide wide open

Codegen Dual Case

Last edited:
well sometimes cooling your cpu and gpu at the same time case rasie temps, gpus get EXTREMELY hot. single rads are mostly for cooling the cpu and the cpu only. my suggestion is get a nvsilencer on the gpu instead, itll save you money(instead of spening 50-100bucks gor a gpu block), and itll give you a decent overclock.

Back