• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for MASSIVE heatercore/radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koss20100

K im planning on using 1/2 barbs on my first wc rig, I also plan to have the radiator a stand alone out to the side of the case im gonna make a wodden base to support it. Now from wht ive been told BIGGER is better soo i need a fairly large radiator any one knoe where i can get one ..

The guy at autozone wasnt much help maybe youll might be able to help me out

You could always have two or more radiators put side by side in series or in paralell. That achieves pretty much the same result with less fuss, though resistance will be bigger than with one big radiator.

has anyone ever tried a regular car radiator?i have a rad outta a suzuki samurai thats fairly small (about 18"x14"). i wonder what the flow is like. it has big veins on the inside. ive often thought of building it into a side panel of a case or something, so the side panel/door is really a giant rad. just a thought....

just use 2 double 120mm HC's in parallel, its just as good, maybe 1* C temp diff between that and one huge ginormous 4x120mm HC

I can't remember who it was but I believe he was a Senior member that did it. If anything do a search and such as I'm sure something will pop up.

2 HC like one goes into the first one and then goes out into the second hc ... wow i never thought of tht

thx guys

Like this maybe?

coresmounted.jpg

Two GDI 399090 single pass cores, courtesy Autozone, $17.99 each.

Joo mean like this?

RadRad1.JPG

It's not up and running yet, but soon. I'm building the case that goes with it.

I picked it up from the "Radiator Doctor" on ebay, and you can also order direct at 1-800-radiator. He's got just about any radiator you can think of for decent prices. Mine's an '85 Toyota truck radiator (16"x 20" fin area, 4 8x10 shrouds) that's got all copper tubes/fins and brass endtanks, so there's no galvanic corrosion worries.
Don't fret telling him what it's for, I told him and sent him this picture...nice guy. Keen on having his rads used for watercooled PC's too.
Ship packaging was quite good as well.

YA thtz EXACTLY wht im looking for ........ ill have to look in to see which would be more convinant 2 rad or 1 huge one

bigger is not always better.

if your radiator creates to much head loss then its to big.

basicaly you have to match the rad to the pump you use and the fans you want

thorilan said:

as for fans not decided
Im doing this strictly on performance not sound, or convience .... ill post pics of it prior to installing i knoe tht ALOT of ppl on these forum have way more knowledge on the subject than me and thtz great cuz it gives me a chance to learn even more....

thorilan said:
if your radiator creates to much head loss then its too big.

Quite true, but in this case the radiator was necessary for the size of my pump. It's well over 700gph (QuietOne 3000) which would starve to death being fed from a yittle-bitty heatercore. An HC's 5/8" outlet wouldn't easily supply enough to the pump's 1" inlet.

The fans are Sanyo-Denki 120's from DockGuys on ebay, and blow really well through this thing. Without the furnace filter on the back, they'll spin my ceiling fan 8' away.
This rad is built much like a super-sized blackice rad. Upclose it looks nearly identical, and has better airflow than my heatercore does.
It's a 1" thick single core rad.

And Sentential, I don't have a server nor a Caddy radiator, but I do have a piping hot Prescott that's roasting under it's stock hsf for now...

thorilan said:

I say match the pump to the rad. I want to buy a rad big enough to cover the entire side of my case. If I have to buy a monstrously powerful Iwaki (MD30 maybe?), I will.

Back