• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A diffrent fan shroud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnL0GiC

Registered
Up until today i was using a fan shroud like most other "water-cooling-geeks" that sucks air in thru the radiator sitting at the front of the case resulting in that you get some hot air sucked into the case. This didn't use to be a problem but with Vcore voltages aproaching 1.95v the water in my watercooling system was really heating up!

When i was priming this afternoon i noticed that my case temprature reached 40° and that was way too much for me to accept i needed to take action. I bet the first idea you get is lets add some more/better exaust fans. More fans = more sound and since i live in a small apartment that was no option.

So here is what i came up with, a fan shroud that doesn't dump any hot air into the case:

Attachments

• Resize of PICT2380.JPG
    Resize of PICT2380.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 246
Neat! Have you made a hole in your case's side panel to accomodate the exhaust?

It's sorta like a duct/shroud - how signifigantly have your CPU temperatures, and case temperatures changed as a result?

Yea i made a hole in the side of my case just below my plexi window although i didnt wan't to take the picture with the side on since it would cover most of the shroud. Anway case temp dropped about 10° during maximum load. The CPU temprature dropped about 2-3° during maximum load (haven't let it idle yett :D ).

That is pretty good, I like the idea. Also, the way that sits it looks like it makes the ultimate foot heater.

What did you make that out of? some sort of sheet metal clearly, but can you give us a little more info.

socket7 said:
What did you make that out of? some sort of sheet metal clearly, but can you give us a little more info.

It's made out of 0.5 mm aluminium, a great metal if you ask me. Easy to shape with your hands, light weight and you can cut it with a normal scissor! :cool:

Here is some pictures on how it looks with the side of case in place:

Attachments

• Resize of PICT2386.JPG
    Resize of PICT2386.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Resize of PICT2387.JPG
    Resize of PICT2387.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 90
  • Resize of PICT2388.JPG
    Resize of PICT2388.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 86
I got the aluminium from www.clasohlson.se (Product number 306348). They charge about 5$ for a sheet of 25*40 cm (0.5mm thick) aluminium.

Although even with this mod it looks like I'm gonna have to get a second radiator cause my water temp is pretty high since i bumped my Vcore to 1.925. I'm even thinking of putting my GF4 on a separate pump/radiator.

Look my PC.

pacosanchez1969-Ordenador.JPG

Back