• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just setup an dd rbx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twister1234

i finaly installed my DD RBX with an dual heatercore,hydor l35 and an DD reservoir.
i only used 1 y-connector-nothing else what should be restrictive-so my question^^

i thought that i would get a bigger temp difference compared to the setup in my sig(92mm enermax has been ducted and was geting fresh air-out of my room)

i m trying atm 230x11 with 1,95 vcore-my temps using air cooling went up to 51-52 C.

with my new setup i m @ 48C after about 10 mins-think it will get to 49-50 C +-...

i used a thin layer as-5,only thing i could imagine would be a: the thermal compound needs to settle in(never realized any temp dropp with my aircooling...)
b:i need to make a shroud to achieve lower watter temps(i use 2 120 mm evercool cfm about 80+-)
c:i use an adapter to get the 220 Volt here in germany down to 110 Volt needed by the american standard hydor pump(but that shouldnt make a difference)

any ideas?
update:50 C reached

Last edited:
Any pic?

A shroud will get you a couple c.

There is less airflow around the cpu so your mobo may read higher even though it is cooler.

i dont have a digi cam here-.-

hm,i use socket readings-cause my cpu diode is showing about 25 C(with air and with water-i think its not correct:p)

my setup is pump>radi>cpu>res>pump etc...maximal head about 35 cm.

ah-lol ok...just closed my side door(with another 92mm enermax and a noname 80 mm) temps dropped to 44 C while priming...

still dropping 42 C atm

Edit:41 C perhaps i should reinstall my 2 80 mm enermax blowing air out...but my case is only a chieftech midi...its really small :p

Last edited:
Make sure that you tighten the mounting springs all the way down, ignore the instructions to only do it half way.

hum-all the way down oO i m a little scared to break my core^^

Edit:thermal paste is ok...dont know how often i reapplied as-5 with my air cooling-i m king in reaplieing(hum is it spelled correct oO?)thermal compound...:)

uff...just got my fingers on my northbridge...it gets relly warm...never realized it before(measured with a multi once-was like 37C atm it feels hot...)

prime fails after 10-15 mins...230x11 was rockstable with air-i think the block isnt fiting right:(

will try to tweak that...

Do not fully comress the springs.

I think your temps are just fine. The socket temps are not very reliable, neither is the diode for that matter....

Any instability?

wasnt there a whole thread on prime95 failing not meaning that his system is unusably unstable? Twister do you do really intensive work on your pc? sorry its a little off topic...

One other suggestion, make sure your tubes arent forcing the CPU block slightly out of true. With some tubing that is slightly stiff its easy enough to put uneven pressure or torque on the CPU block. If possible try bracing your tubing in such a way as to minimize it. In extreme cases (admittedly when 3 tubes were coming off the block with no Y connect) it can definitely have an effect on cooling by putting such uneven pressure on the chip. Its rare but can happen. One fairly easy fix is to heat the area of the tubing where the curve is with hot water and slightly form it to the curve that it will have once installed. This also happens over time as the tension in the tubing decreases from being in position.

Hopefully you looked down the inlet barb before mounting. When I first rec'd mine the foam gasket for the nozzle accelerator was offset which partially blocked the flow.

I have a similar setup as you, dual heatercore and RBX and for reference, my overclocked 2.4C is only getting up to 35 - 38 at full load, depending on outisde temps. Idling at 25 celcius. Something must be wrong.

as i remounted the rbx-something went wrong...i m writing this of an secondry motherboard:p
think the screws where tightend to much-dont really know...
if i try to setup the waterblock on this rig,it wont boot(no monitor signal)...using air cooling its just fine-perhaps the screws short out something...?

i m using an asrock @ 14x171...havent adjusted anything in bios-but its stable enough to get into inet...-.- and dont want to prime it^^my new dfi should be here in a few days...

I had the same thing happen to me. It didnt appear to be permanent for me...but thats no guarantee.

Your WB may be putting to much pressure on one side of the chip due to the torsion of the tubes. Using your hands relieve the pressure the hoses place on the wb after making completely sure the waterblock is tightened down evenly.

Do NOT tighten the screws down all the way. Those springs are meant to apply pressure in such a way that the waterblock presses down on the chip evenly. By tightening them all the way you run the risk of crushing your chip. If this was the intended way to mount waterblocks there would be no springs, only washers.

I would suggest also getting a cold drink considering the panic I remember the first time this happened.

Take it easy and slow but make sure the only pressure the waterblock is exerting on the chip is directly down, remove any torsion by the tubes with your hands and try to boot again. If anything allow the waterblock to be lightly mounted by only slightly tightening the springs.

As PBP said, post pics. I have a funny feeling the mounting of the wb is placing too much pressure on the chip in some way shape or form but without seeing the layout its all guesswork.

Back