• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump for WC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoner51

I am compiling all the stuff for my WC setup. I have a raidmax case, So it will have to be external. Here's what I have so far. 77 Bonneville w/ac(Thanks weapon). 2 120 fans TT, 1/2 ID tubing. swiftec 6002 cpu block. tee and clamps. My quesitons are:
What pump? I am looking at three or four:
1. Aquaextreme 50z for $80
2. DD 12v D4 $75 just read a post stating it was loud
3. swiftec MCP650 $80
4. ehiem 1250 $60
5. rio 2100 $40
The only reason the Rio is in there is because I read somewhere it has head pressure of like 10 and the ehiem is 6.6. for 40 buck it seems good but I will be using it as inline. And the first three all have 1/2 od fittings so it should be a smoothe setup.
Your help is appreciated
My current setup is 3.2e 1.425vcore p4c800dlx(droop mod) ocz 520w psu, ocz 3200 rev2. ocz ddr booster 3.1 vdimm 1 x74 raptor, 1x120 seagate SATA, 200gb maxtor ide. I can get stable to 242fsb beyond that it reboots with load. temps are 41c idle and 57-61c load. with a TT spark 7 Cooler. WC setup will be for CPU only for now. Also what temps can I expect

The MCP650. It outperforms all the other pumps and will last longer than anything, except maybe the Eheim. I haven't heard of an Eheim dying yet. The MCP650 isn't as quiet as the 1250 (it's a modified, quieter version of the Laing D4), but it is significantly more powerful (10.5ft head vs the Eheim's 6.5ft head). The MCP650 is also 12V and hooks up to a molex connector so you don't need a relay and you won't have a cord hanging out of your case.

The Rio is notoriously unreliable. There are occasional pumps that last a few years but the majority die. The ratings are also a bit optimistic.

Thanks I was leaning towards the MCP650 from what I've read. But with the RIO so cheap, I guess thats why.
Anything you can think of that I've missed?

What about the C-Systems DUAL CSP 750 Mark II pumps. How does this dual pump setup compare to the Swifty MCP-650?

sPaNk

C-Systems is proven to be crap. It's also weak. But you get what you pay for.

The MCP650 and Mag 3 are equally powerful, but the Mag 3 is definitely cheaper. However, you will have to replace the rubber o-ring with either silicone RTV sealant (my preferred method) or Marine GOOP to create a new gasket, because the o-ring will eventually leak. But at half the price of the MCP650, it's well worth it. It should be noted that it does vibrate a bit, so without some sort of padding under it, it will be noisy. Of course, a bit of foam or rubber under the pump will make it deal silent. There is no whine from a Mag 3.

One pump not listed that might make the list is the Iwaki MD20RLT.

The one with the American made motor runs about $24 higher than the $80 MCP650. Another would be the PanWorld PX40 with basically the same stats as the Iwaki MD20RLT (American) for $109 (from MarineDepot.com).

The only reason I kick these more expensive pumps into the mix is that they are some of the most reliable pumps out there and have a greater head in case of future plans on WCing expansion to a GPU/NB waterblock. Keep in mind they also are noisier.

I am not saying they are 'better'. 'Better' depends totally on your setup and future goals for that setup. Its just another consideration.

The lower end Rios are unreliable, but so far i havent heard a single horror story of the 2100 dying, personally i am running mine for the 7th month now 24/7 with no problems.

yeah, i must be the only person who dislikes that post...simply because I was kicking myself for NOT getting an Aquaextreme after reading it :temper:

Ah well, my D4 cant be heard over my fans anyway, and it IS a little more powerful. I probably wouldnt have overvolted the mcp600 anyway, so there ya go.

Back