• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.25" or 5.25"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mat1314

Which is the better reservoir a hd bay one or a cd-rom bay one? All the bad stuff about reservoirs aside...Is there any difference?

mat1314 said:
Is there any difference?
One holds more :beer:

The size of the res will not play a huge factor on your temps. The only thing that having a bigge res would help with is if your pump stopped working or something it would take longer to heat up all the extra water....
Not a big deal, go with whatever fits your needs.

Not to burst you bubble, but acrylic reservoirs sometimes leak...might I suggest this injection molded plastic one you can get here and here.

Will not leak, better functionality, and cheaper. Its not as nice looking, but its designed to fit behind a drive cover.

The only difference I can think of is that the larger one will have more water in the loop altogether, and so the water will take a little big longer to heat up.

Jeff Moser said:
Or, Here For no acrylic seams what so ever.

The caps are aluminum. It would pose a corrosion problem even though they are anodized. If you put looks over functionality then that one will work as it does look better than a bay res. However, I wouldn't take the risk of added corrosion.

Even though the water will take longer to heat, it WILL heat. Don't think that it taking longer is gaining you performance...its not. Eventually it will get up to temperature just like it would if you were running no res.

Have you considered a T-line?

A reservoir is only good for convenience and looks. It WILL reduce your flow rate, and consequently, increase your temps. For best results, use a t-line.

[KX3]rAge said:
One holds more :beer:

The size of the res will not play a huge factor on your temps. The only thing that having a bigge res would help with is if your pump stopped working or something it would take longer to heat up all the extra water....
Not a big deal, go with whatever fits your needs.

Lol if youre pump stopped working it would take the same amount of time to heat up if you didnt have a res, the water would just sit in the block res or not..

More water Volume means the temps will go up more slowly, but they will also go down more slowly.

I have a 3.25 dual bay res from danger den. It looks very slick. I have the power and HD lights shine through it (the res has 2 drilled out spots to put LEDs). I'll have pics of my entire system soon. I just need a camera better then my webcam :-/

I Think the 5.5 ones look cooler. Nice big frontal areas provide a groovy shifting light show when you shine high-intensity LEDs through them. Great to watch while listening to Pink Floyd MP3s at full volume. They even have a practical aspect: If the shifting stops, you know your pump has as well.

Bad ConNecTioN said:
The caps are aluminum. It would pose a corrosion problem even though they are anodized. If you put looks over functionality then that one will work as it does look better than a bay res. However, I wouldn't take the risk of added corrosion.

The above res. has no aluminum it is all machined cast acrylic.

Even though the water will take longer to heat, it WILL heat. Don't think that it taking longer is gaining you performance...its not. Eventually it will get up to temperature just like it would if you were running no res.

Have you considered a T-line?

I was using a 5.25 clear Bayres with a 12V D4 pump. The water level in the res would have to be almost completely full otherwise it would keep sucking in the air pocket. I would not use a smaller then 5.25.

I replace the 5.25 for the HDPE version which works much better at keeping the air out. Yes you don't get to look at it but it works so much better.

ddawson said:
I was using a 5.25 clear Bayres with a 12V D4 pump. The water level in the res would have to be almost completely full otherwise it would keep sucking in the air pocket. I would not use a smaller then 5.25.

I replace the 5.25 for the HDPE version which works much better at keeping the air out. Yes you don't get to look at it but it works so much better.

You have air at all in your reservoir? You’re going to get tiny air bubbles that will slowly collect in your radiator if you have air in your res. The only sizeable air pocket I have in my system is in the fill port tube, where there's no way it can find its way into the pump. In fact, the T fitting I use to fill the system actually serves to catch the tiny air bubbles that are still stuck in my system. In a month or so, There shouldn't even be the little bubbles left in my system (I just refilled my system with fluid XP). :clap:

Back