• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob wanting help on routing wc hoses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smartmoney

Registered
setting up my 1ST wc setup. got a lot of ideas from weapon
here goes

Lian li pc65b case
asus a8v mb
amd 64 3400+ cpu
DD-TDX cpu block
DD- maze 4 chipset cooler
DD-NV68 block for the 6800 ultra
DD-black case fillport
1/2 tygon tubeing
single 5 1/4 bay res
Black ice extreme Rad
Swiftec mcp650 pump
ULTRA 500w ps

here are my Q
Was it worth the extra for the chipset cooler?

What is the best routing of the tube for this setup?

What is the water mix? what kind of water?
(i have zerex-Water wetter- uv die)

What is the best setup for fans on the rad? 2? which way does the air go for ea?

what am i missing??

lastly i want to do a lcd mod with the power and HD led lights on the front of the case. what are the V on these lcd's? 5v or 12v?

any suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated.!!

Was it worth the extra for the chipset cooler?
What is the best routing of the tube for this setup?
What is the water mix? what kind of water?
(i have zerex-Water wetter- uv die)
What is the best setup for fans on the rad? 2? which way does the air go for ea?
what am i missing??

Chipset coolers are debatable. If you think you want to maximize your OC with no noise on it, then go for it. But it probably won't limit you as much as your CPU would.

Routing typically goes Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> NB -> GPU, but it doesn't make a LOT of difference. You also need to factor in convenience of routing.

If you have zerex or WW like you said, you'll be fine mixing either with distilled water.

I personally would pick a larger radiator like a heater core or BIX2 since you're going to be putting a 6800Ultra in the loop as well. Dual fans don't help a lot. Surface area always wins over fan speed or number of fans. You can also get a Laing D4 from Danger Den since you seem to be getting the majority of your parts there. Another block you might check out for the CPU is the 6002 Swiftech.

If you're going to have a fill port you can do away with the res as well. You only need one, not both, and Tlines are easy to use too.

ok. took some time to get all the stuff in, then for a noob it took some more time to figure the layout in this WAY to small case but i think i got it.

there has been some changes to the setup as per the suggestions.
i have ditched the Black ice rad and went with a heater core from a 86 chevette. i am going to mod it with the barb fittings later but i am working on the setup first. Allso i am NOT installing the chipset WB as i don't figure on having the room to spare. (please tell me if i am wrong in NOT having the chipset WB).

Question???
Will i still get enough airflow setting up this way?

do i need to raise it up off the ground a bit more?

Mount the fan on the bottom of the rad, between it and the case using a DD fan shroud, and have the airflow blowing OUT of the case with a 120mm ROUND hole?

OR mount the Rad in the bottom of the case, have the fan and shroud on top blowing through the rad and then out of the case through a BIG SQUARE hole about the size of the rad?

Lastly, what would be the best routing of the tygon tube for this setup?

OH yea thought of one more thing. I want to mod some of the lcd's on the front of this and other cases and am looking for a source for colored LCD.s that are 5v (5mm and 3mm size) so i don't have to run a resistor. i checked Radio shack and all they have is blue.

sorry about the pic size (very big)

if the pic dos not load go to

here [/IMG]

That looks to be a kickin' setup there.

Routing is going to be "fun" considering the space to work with.

Ok, after thinking a bit, try this:

Pump outlet to rad inlet (furthest from the camera).
Rad outlet to TDX
TDX to 6800 block
6800 block to res inlet
Res outlet to the pump inlet.

Orient the pump in such a way as the tubing is easiest to route between the two connections.

Considering your chipset is passively cooled, it probably does not need water. If you wanted to maximize your OC out of it, then the most cost effective would be to get a heatsink/fan unit for it. You probably could fit a chipset block in there if you really wanted to, probably best to go from the graphics card back to the chipset in that case, then to the res.

You definitely want some gap between the case and the ground to be able to pull air in, about an inch or so should do. I'd have the air going through the rad into the case, then have your other case fans do the exhaust duty. But, if you do have the fans pushing through the radiator, then a square hole would be best for the shroud. On the intake side of the fans I've read it isn't as big a deal, but fan casings are shaped to use the entire frame for airflow, so try not to block it.

Good luck!

so are you saying that mounted as shown would be ok just have the air going UP through the case.
only thing i was thinking is that the hard drives will be mounting just above where the airflow goes. think the hot air would be bad for that? there was 2 fans mounted low in the front of the case, for where the HD were (now where the rad is) but i was moving them to the side of the "now" hd mount.

in that case if above is bad then reverse the fan to the top of the rad and blow out.

For quietest performance and arguably best temps, have both fans pull air through the radiator into the case. The rise in temps between outside and after the radiator is relatively small, so your hard drives will benefit from the airflow anyway.

that looks like a nice setup in the case, with the hose in and water flowing it should look really nice.

for the chipset, i'd skip it, it doesn't even need a fan, why would it need water.

for the hose route, i try to make it circle. except the pump should get water from the res.

for fan do as voodoo says, and if you have room, make 2 shrouds.

thanks for the advice. Absolutly no room for 2 fans and shrouds.
just gotta go with one for now. Just gonna have fun till i can build a bigger case with more room. Just got the hole cut for the fan. Ganna post some more pics soon...
Gonna have more Q as i go along I much app all the help. Gonna be nice to not make too many mistakes with all the help from everyone!!
Next fun is running hose and filling up!!

Back