• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tygon 1/2" from FrozenCPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nuclear_Fuzion

I ordered some Tygon 1/2" ID from FrozenCPU, only to find out when it gets here that it is thin side wall (like 1/16") tubing. They said that's all they carry, which I find hard to believe.

Has anyone used this stuff from them? I'm concerned about it collapsing and bursting. It is true 1/2" ID, just very thin.

What are your thoughts on this?

1. It should be very flexible.

2. It wont burst under the pressure you will be putting through it.

3. Kinking may be a problem. You will have to plan your layout so that there are no sharp turns.

I know some people already use the 1/16" tubing that post on these boards. The main problem is just making sure you allow enough space for the curves.

I doubt it should be a problem however.

Lastly I would make very sure that when clamping you tighten enough but not too much. Sounds like that 1/16" might be sort of easy to cut through if using standard metal worm-gear clamps.

-On a sidenote...if you are unhappy with that and need a replacement you might check out Masterkleer at Mcmaster.com - $0.57 per foot in 10' increments. With shipping in the US it amounts to just over $10 for 10 feet and they are pretty prompt at McMaster. Masterkleer is NOT as flexible as Tygon, its right on par with the Clearflex but seems to remain clear for a longer period of time.

FWIW:

I also ordered the Tygon from frozencpu, and I'm really not happy with it. I went down to Home Depot and bought 10' of 1/2" tubing. It's not as flexible, but it doesn't seem to kink as easily as the Tygon. Cost on it was $4 for 10'.

I had some of that, and it caused me nothing but trouble. I had to replace half of it due to kinking/collapsing. I was even using Coolsleeves, but they just didn't help.

My recommendation is NEVER buy 1/16" side wall tubing. Tygon is also overpriced. I would go with ClearFlex, 1/8" walls if clear tubing is what you're after.

Personally, I'm thinking about getting PrimoFlex Green UV tubing for my next project. Anyone tried it?

Check out www.McMaster.com for thicker sidewalled Tygon R-3603. You can get it with a 1/8" sidewall I believe. It doesn't bend as easily though, but it'll still bend easier than 1/8" sidewalled Clearflex 60 and it won't kink as easily as Clearflex either. You might want to consider 1/8" sidewalled Tygon R-1000. It's even softer than R-3603, but is about as good as equivalent Clearflex 60 in terms of kinking. It bends even easier than the R-3603 though, if that's a priority. The 1/8" sidewall will provent it from collapsing since that is an issue with thin walled 1/2" tubing.

Stay away from Frozen and their tubing! They shouldn't even sell that spaghetti sh*t.

i bought tygon 7/16 ID tubing with 3/32 sidewalls form usplastics and it's the sh_t. it's expensive though also heavy. come out to roughly $30.00 shipped for ten feet. it's great though, way more cooperative than my 1/8" wall 3/8" ID tygon that it replaced. and it's a little bigger too. look here for why i went with this (post #50 by cathar) actually all of cathar's posts regarding tubing present a good reason for the 54047 tubing.

alinosa said:
i bought tygon 7/16 ID tubing with 3/32 sidewalls form usplastics and it's the sh_t. it's expensive though also heavy. come out to roughly $30.00 shipped for ten feet. it's great though, way more cooperative than my 1/8" wall 3/8" ID tygon that it replaced. and it's a little bigger too. look here for why i went with this (post #50 by cathar) actually all of cathar's posts regarding tubing present a good reason for the 54047 tubing.

Hmmm, just some points on your post.

1/8" walled 3/8" ID tubing is 5/8" OD
3/32" walled 7/16" ID tubing is 5/8" OD as well

They are both the same size externally, at least when initially bought - there may well be some wall section shrinkage of the tubing over time which is why your older tubing might seem a little smaller. Might also just be an optical illusion with different refraction of light through the tubing.

Weight wise, the 3/32" wall - 7/16" ID tubing will be lighter than the 1/8" wall - 3/8" ID tubing - it HAS to be - because it's the same OD and there's less wall thickness for the same external physical diameter.

Cathar said:
Hmmm, just some points on your post.

1/8" walled 3/8" ID tubing is 5/8" OD
3/32" walled 7/16" ID tubing is 5/8" OD as well

They are both the same size externally, at least when initially bought - there may well be some wall section shrinkage of the tubing over time which is why your older tubing might seem a little smaller. Might also just be an optical illusion with different refraction of light through the tubing.

Weight wise, the 3/32" wall - 7/16" ID tubing will be lighter than the 1/8" wall - 3/8" ID tubing - it HAS to be - because it's the same OD and there's less wall thickness for the same external physical diameter.

the bigger i was referring to was the inside diameter. no the whole thing. i didn't want really thick tubing because my case is crowded as it is.

Think you guys could stop bypassing the word filter? Thanks.

alinosa said:

Also you should of went with Masterkleer 7/16, its .37 a foot which comes too about $3.70 for 10 feet and $9.25 for 25 feet.

Link: www.mcmaster.com

Item: 5233K44

thegreek said:
Also you should of went with Masterkleer 7/16, its .37 a foot which comes too about $3.70 for 10 feet and $9.25 for 25 feet.

Link: www.mcmaster.com

Item: 5233K44

I have both here. The Tygon is def. better quality, although the MasterKleer is okay. The MK is stiffer and doesn't like bending against the natural curve one bit.

i got an assload of tygon (25ft.) from danger den over the x-mas sale, along with 2 triple radiators

next rig i do, i'm going with clearflex-60 - its ALOT cheaper (89 cents/foot @ jabtech w/ order over 10 feet (i think)) and is bascially the equivalent of tygon and at a much lower cost

Back