• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator push/pull setup, fans should be at same speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Doing a push/pull configuration on a radiator with two 120mm fans. I would assume running them at equal speeds (thus creating equal output) would be ideal. But would I notice any large performance/efficiency decreases if one fan were running 100% and the other 75%?

Seriously don't bother with pushpull unless you have a huge radiator like the 120.3. It's a lot of added noise, +3db, for ~.5-1c. The only reason to convicer pushpull is if you are running the fans both at 5v which has shown slightly better.

If you do do pushpull, run the fans at the same speed. It would add wear to both fans if you didnt.

From the way I look at it it shouldnt make much of a difference if any.

Edit. Performance wise that is.

Last edited:
pwnt by pat said:
Seriously don't bother with pushpull unless you have a huge radiator like the 120.3. It's a lot of added noise, +3db, for ~.5-1c. The only reason to convicer pushpull is if you are running the fans both at 5v which has shown slightly better.

If you do do pushpull, run the fans at the same speed. It would add wear to both fans if you didnt.

Can you post any links on that 5V theory/fact? Also, what do you consider slightly better?

Here's the proforum push-pull chart:
shrouds-BIX.GIF

I can't find the link at procooling as I'm not registered and can't search however it was in the thread where pushpull was the topic of debate and testing based on. One user commented how they noticed a difference of about 2c going pushpull at 7v over pull at 7v, 3c with fans at 5v. However, despite this claim, no one has actually tested this. I would, however I do not have any kind of measuring devices. I did, however noties a small gain, 1c~, with pushpull at 7v with y.s. tech 120x25 105cfm fans but this is also within a margin of error.

Back