• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi, Two Questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj_2004

I own a L20 pump and it is extremely annoying/loud. Well i think it is. Are there any good quieter pumps and where could i possibly find them? Also do i need to run my pump at night WITH my computer going? I wont have any programs/games going so basically itll be idle. I saw a poll about this and i thought you should always have it going when comp is on. This will be on about 7-10hours atmost. Thanks!
~Dan

When the computer is going you need your pump on. Simple as that.

Computer is on...Pump is on

Computer is off...Pump is on or off

Oh ic, thanks for clearing that up. How is the CSP750 mark II pump? Cheapest i could find is $37 which isnt that bad.

Never heard of one of those before. For price the most all around pump(s) would be the mag 3 and the eheim 1046 eheim as for a link to the mag 3 theyre not too hard to find just check out bigalsonline.com or petwarehouse.com

heh thing is i wanna sleep with it on sometimes. on the mag 3 are the barbs 1/2in or 3/8... or can they be changed out? Can only use 3/8's with my setup. Thanks

is the sound from your pump FROM your pump or from the vibrations through whatever your pump is sitting on? i thought my eheim 1250 was loud but it's not that bad if i pad the bottom to absorb the vibrations... the thick mouse pads work GREAT for dampening the noise... just a thought

With the pump I have which is called a "pondmaster 3" basicly its a mag3 knockoff from petsmart. Same specs and everything. The output is threaded so you can choose the size you want. I just cut a small piece of hose that I had laying around went to homedepot and found a fitting with the right size to fit the pump that fit the hose and that was that.

Yes its my pump, i lifted it up in my hand so its touching nothing and it makes the same exact amount of noise. Creepy can you tell me how much it cost you? Their site is currently down. Thanks for the help guys, keep it up :)

Try unplugging it and plugging it back in real quick. My pump makes some noise once in awhile when I refill it and wont stop unless I do do that im guessing because of air. As for how much it was im not sure but it was between $30-$40.

dj_2004 said:
Oh ic, thanks for clearing that up. How is the CSP750 mark II pump? Cheapest i could find is $37 which isnt that bad.
You saw a MARK II for $37...jump on it
Be aware of the fact that a MARK II means that there is TWO CSP750 pumps IIRC.

Another good pump is the D4 (MCP650 or DD12v) and the AquaXtreme 50z
For silence use Eheims.
knewman said:
Put 2 120mm Panaflo fans in. I assure you...you'll never hear the pump.
lol

Three other possibilities when it comes to pump noise for the L20-
1. Could there be any bubbles in your system? Bubbles add to pump noise.

2. Could there be a choke point in your system? If the pump is having a very difficult time pushing the water through the loop it can cause cavitation. Cavitation will cause noise.

3. Is there a chance your pump was run while dry and it has somehow damaged the impeller? Some pumps react very badly to being run dry. The impeller blades can be damaged, the impeller itself can become unseated, etc.

How long have you had the L20? Could it have worn out? I have an L35 which is the big brother to the L20 and in all honesty I cannot hear the pump over my case fans which leads me to believe the L20 (which is supposed to be pretty quiet) is not operating as it should be. Its possibly damaged or defective. Just for info I have no high performance/high noise output fans. My 'loudest' one is a 35db 120mm fan so the noise level is not very high.

If its vibrating and making that much noise I would call Hydor (the manufacturers for the pump) at their US number. I had some questions on availability for spare impellers and was able to get ahold of them fairly quickly during standard work hours.

Here is their contact information:

Hydor USA Inc.
9280 Madison Ave, CA 95662 Orangevale, California - USA
Ph. +1-916-988 5222 - Fax +1-916-988-5522

If I remember correctly the person you will speak to will most probably be named Brian. Simply ask for tech support however, they are fairly quick and friendly.

Good luck with it and if you wouldnt mind report back.

Short and sweet the L20 is supposed to be pretty danged quiet unless something is wrong. I would bet there is something that can be changed/fixed fairly easily and inexpensively.

hmm i might have to dissasemble it later tonight/tomorrow. and senator I misread it, it only says csp750. i hope its a simple problem with my pump so i dont need to spend 50bux. i tried shaking the case around a bit to get all the bubbles out and i dont see any. ill check the impeller later on, is there any signs i should look for? thanks

Some knicks on the impeller and/or magnet on the impeller might be causing it. A lot people run into problems caused by that with aquariums. Two totally different things but hey you never know.

Well its making a sorta clicking noise. Its not really clicking tho, kind of like static... hard to explain.

Check it out and clean it with some alcohol. Might just need to be cleaned or something.

Thats a tough one. Being that I dont own one and dont know much about them parts wise im gonna have to say seach for a schematic of one or...If it has any labels on it. Pull the labes off the screws might be under the labels.

Back