• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some chemistry and radioactive materal= new liquid cooling??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyros

I found this in a notebook forum of all places and figured I would post it here. I found it quite entertaining. :D :attn:

HEY, I have been experimenting all day with a theory of chemistry for Liquid cooling, and my professor just called me with positive results!!! This is really cool, and beats Dry ice!!! It works like this:

First, an Aluminum compound is synthesized, called Alumina. Then, graphite is added, or carbon in its pure form. When the two hit one another they become very cold (about -110 Celcius) The reaction is something like this in chemical terms: Al2O3 + 3C ---> 2Al + 3CO

This reaction is performed in a pure environment of Xenon gas, which liquifies at this temperature. After the liquification, the reaction slows to a very slow pace, but the actual initial reaction requires around 20 KiloJoules or Energy!!! It is highly Endothermic, and if it touches the skin, it will freeze it on contact, so it is a hazard.

You may have noticed that the reaction produces aluminum metal, which isnt a problem using a filter, but carbon monoxide, the colorless, odorless deady gas... This is a problem, being that If there is a leak in the liquid cooling system, it will cause death if to much is inhaled. Besides that, the polyethelyne tubing used must be coated in a Pb+Hg+W metalloid compund, to insulate and protect from the radiation explained in the next part.

A small trace of Neptunium (a rare radioactive element can be added to slow the reaction further, but isn't really required. If added, it lengthens the reaction of the Alumina+Carbon to about 1 year solid, based on decompistion of the Alumina in a 4 hour test trial. Without it, the reaction lasts about 7 months. The piping must be coated in lead to ensure only small amounts of radiation leak if added, being that Neptunium is more radioactive then Uranium. With the small amount (80ng) added, it is really not severe, but is simply a safety measure instead.

This system runs perfectly according to my preliminary tests, and if successful will be a large leap in cooling not only in computers but in automobiles, etc. The trouble is, the base load has to very exact, otherwise the reaction of Alumina can be nearly -234 Celcius, which will freeze the molecules of Silicon into almost a volumeless state, which is not good for chips, LOL.. Hope this interests some people. Cheers, and goodnight!

This is the first time that I have heard of radioactive materal to aid cooling. :p
If anyone would like a direct link I will be happy to post it.

That cooling system would work if you continually added massive amounts of carbon and Aluminum Oxide...

*Starts grinding up pencil lead and aluminum case scraps* :D

Stuff like this makes me wish I had more of a chemistry background. Hey Greenman, how many W does a Northy generate? I thought 90W was in the ballpark at stock. Thats what I was using when testing my MachI before I sold it to Rhino.

LMAO nice greenman although he still says you are wrong! :rollseyes: If it works great... If not great.... I just dont think ide buy any cooling system like that unless its in its fifth generation and proven safe beyond any doubts.

JT

You guys should have seen his sig. A64 FX55 Nforce4 2x6800U SLI DDR2 Huh?? Called him a liar on it. When did AMD 64's start supporting DDR2 :) I was so jealous of his sig that he had to remove it after that :rolleyes:

Might want to check out another post of his on the same forum. Apparantly he got a little mad at the Dell section. http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?p=519137#post519137

BTW I love his timeline of events.

"HEY, I have been experimenting all day with a theory of chemistry for Liquid cooling, and my professor just called me with positive results!!!

"Har Har, The Patent Is Pending..."

"My PC isn't built yet.. LOL, I am waiting on SLi board to ship. This experiment was done at school (I go to Rose Hulman), and was done in a very powerful lab, not a home system yet. The MOBO was an ABIT with a P4EE 3.4GHz [email protected] for 3 hours. I don't have screenies, because data wasn;t coolected using any type of Operating System that does screen shots"

This guys on cloud nine.

Last edited:
I think the real goal here wasnt to disprove him but to make sure that people that dont know better arent fooled into thinking he knows what he is talking about. People like this come into forums talking about something that they figure most people wont understand and hope that people think they are hyper intelligent. Then you end up with the blind leading the blind.... Or he's a troll trying to get people fired up. Either way he got owned. :attn:

Last edited:
He's fibbing, one give-away is he tells us of theory, then goes on to speak of 'This system runs perfectly according to my preliminary tests' , and then he goes on about building a rig with this magic formula.

I'm sending Greenman over there with a special parcel of Pixie dust.

PS Greenman, you shouldn't put this poor guy down and flame him, he's doing a good job doing that himself.

I don't care if the chemistry aspect works or not. Just look at some things involved here: lead, carbon monoxide, radiation! No, not a health hazard at all. Sounds better than the mercury cooling idea! :D

I have another great idea to revolutionize computers. How about replacing our power supplies with mini nuclear reactors! Unlimited power, and no need for a battery backup! Sounds like a great idea, doesn't it?

LOL! That nuclear reactor PSU is not as far fetched as you think. There is a new type of nuclear reactor that works off of a land slide reaction instead of a Chain reaction.

Summary of the system: The new nuclear reactor is called a Quantum Nuclear reactor. The fuel is Hafnium -198 that when exposed to X-ray sends of a shower of partials. It stops as soon as the X-rays are removed. And its half life is 30 years IIRC. So with this type of design it doesn’t take as much shielding and is not a mass danger to society because you can run the X-ray power wires close enough to the reaction to where they will melt as the reactor begins to over heat, nipping a meltdown in the bud. The US government is using these reactors in several test-phase UAVs.

Why not just use a wormhole to dissipate the heat from over the processor? No heatsink needed!

Silversinksam said:
PS Greenman, you shouldn't put this poor guy down and flame him, he's doing a good job doing that himself.

You're right, but it is a disservice of him to spew such misinformation to the world. People will believe him. Then again, I guess two wrongs don't make a right.

If I thought he was genuinely innocent, I wouldn't have laid into him so hard, but it is clear he is just unloading sacks of BS from his truck

OK, you have two metals in a system means one is going to be reduced and the other oxidised.

I also fail to see where all this energy is going. Aluminium Oxide, as far as I know, does not react with carbon.

Chemically for the intial reaction dS = (50.99 + 17.1) - (14.10 + 84.9) JK^-1 = 68.09 - 99 = -30.91JK^-1

dG = dH - TdS

Assuming room temp = 298K

dG = dH + 9211.18

dH is HIGHLY ENDOTHERMIC apparently => a large positive number => dG very big => WILL NOT GO

This reaction is a no-go and is physically not feasible for any value of T due to negative entropy change!!!!.

EDIT: I'm a tard and cant add. This doesnt work.

Last edited:
Back