• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G5 Test Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9mmCensor

Disabled
So far preliminary data prove that it owns.

g5prelim.jpg

Congrats on being the king Cathar.

warning: attempting to make your G5 have your children will only result in diminished thermal transfer

So... .5-.75 degree difference? Not a bad increase.

Very nice for both the G4 and G5. :drool: :attn:

I don't see the G5 review up yet. Where is it?

Thanks for the link.

I think the SS and G5 should remain on the graph even if they are/were limited availability due to the fact that they set the bar by which others need to aspire to.

Senater_Cache said:
wow Cathar , itching ever so far closer to that elusive 0 dTc lol

Hmmm, that can't really ever be achieved. For that testbed around 3C of the temperature rise is due to the thermal paste gap between the CPU and the waterblock. A further 1C is also unavoidable since the waterblock has to have a base-plate on it, and even the thinnest realistically usable base-plate thicknesses would enforce about a 1C penalty there as moving heat through the metal is never free.

So of the temperatures shown for the testbed, around 4C of that simply cannot be avoided given the basic "waterblock on a CPU with some thermal paste" scenario.

So I personally view it as inching ever closer to 4°C dT when it comes to the Procooling testbed.

hmmm nice work, can't wait till the production phase so those of us on the waiting list can't get our hands on one of these =P

Crap. I should have been more patient and bought a G5 instead. It KILLS everything else. It even puts the G4 to shame....

Oh wow.. once again this whole need vs. want debate runs through my head. If I didn't have aluminum in my loop I think I would have a hard time saying no to this.. even now I'm thinking.. hmm if I get this and a new GPU block... ;)

Amazing work Cathar!

I never really paid Attention to cathars work, even when he first started doing this on the FM forum from what i remember, but now im looking at it its seems pretty impressive.

Do you have a website where you sell the waterblocks so i can check out the prices ?

i tell you what, A Edited by SSS: C'mon! You know better than to try to barter outside the Classifieds ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, just curious but how do you overvolt a pump?

BTW, interesting flow graphs. There really ISN'T a difference between the mcp600 and mcp650.

azianese said:
hmmm, just curious but how do you overvolt a pump?

BTW, interesting flow graphs. There really ISN'T a difference between the mcp600 and mcp650.

Over-volting is achieved by using an external power supply. Either a wall-wart power-adaptor, or using one of the small 13.5v or 15v Meanwell PSU's and turning the voltage dial to supply the desired voltage.

When Laing introduced the muffled versions of the D4 pumps, the pumps lost around 20-25% of their peak pressure head. This had the effect of making what was clearly a stronger pump than the MCP600, into a pump that only just matches the MCP600 in typical real-world scenarios. The Swiftech MCP650's and the DangerDen 12v pumps are all now the muffled versions of the D4's.

I, for one, am a little disappointed in this. The original D4, even though it was noisy and put more heat into the loop than the MCP600, offset this with a significant flow-rate gain. Now the muffled D4's still run hotter and put more heat into the loop than the MCP600's, they are still louder than the MCP600's, and with that whine than the MCP600's don't have, and they offer flow rates no better than the MCP600's. What the muffled D4's do have going for them though is superior reliability.

Back