• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a shroud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Ive ran into a problem. I have a 77' bonneville core and need to build a shroud for it that will be able to hold the weight of the core. Its going to be mounted on the top of my case by the fans. My problem is im low on money and im not too sure what can be used. Ive tried some fiberglass sheets and it was too flimsy (made it using the glass and resin), I do have a few street signs laying around which I could cut and use but I have no idea as to what to cut them with.

You can get a 12 x 24 inch sheet of 26 gauge sheet metal at Home Depot for under 5 dollars. Will be alot easier to cut and bend over some aluminum heavy street sign material. It will cut with snips or a dremel easy enough.

Thanks for the help I think I figured out what im going to do. Im going to mount the rad at the top of my case (acrylic) by laying it on the case and sealing it all around the top with jbweld. Then ill cut some holes on the other side of the acrylic and mount the fans. It should give me a 1/4" space between the rad and fans.

space between fan and rad

creepy said:
Thanks for the help I think I figured out what im going to do. Im going to mount the rad at the top of my case (acrylic) by laying it on the case and sealing it all around the top with jbweld. Then ill cut some holes on the other side of the acrylic and mount the fans. It should give me a 1/4" space between the rad and fans.

Do some reading. I beleive you will find the optimal distance between rad and fans is somewhere between 1 to 2 inches. The area immediately in front of the fan hub creates a dead spot, and moving the fan away overcomes this. I would not mount my fans that close. The way I have mine set up I have a certain amount of adjustment on the distance between the rad and the fans/fan shroud.

In pratice, 1" is MIN for space between heatercore and fans. Anything less you start loseing preformance, and at one point, you might as well mount the fans on the heatercore......(dunno what the point is though)

Ive changed my mind on what im doing. I will still be mounting the rad on the top of the case but cutting out the area of where the rad is. Then using the piece I cut out I will build a shroud that sticks up about 1.5" outside of the case. I have ABSOLUTLY no room inside the case for one so this is my only option pretty much.

Im mounting my heatercore shroud and fans outside my case, then i have a duct to push the air and soundwaves that come w/ it to the back of the case so it has to bounce off the wall before it hits me. This entire thing will add 5.5" to the top of my case, but boy will it all be worth it. :D

Sounds nice. What kinda fans will you be using? Im still trying to decide but im leaning towards two of these.

Edit..Or two 92mm tornados.

Im going to run a 2-302 heatercore, a doubble 120mm heatercore. Im currently planning on useing two Sanyo-Denki fans that you can buy in the classifieds section or on ebay.(its the same person) I've ordered two fans for a differnent project(school science fair) if I like the fans they will go on my heatercore. And by like, I mean arn't freaking loud. :p

Edit: the '77 b'ville core you are useing/planning to use has a core number of 2-302. AKA: we are planning to use the same heatercore.

DSC00822.jpg

DSC824.jpg

Just some pics of the progress of the core so far. I still plan to add another coat of paint and a clear coat to be sure it wont scratch and or chip eaisly.

That's a nice paint job but IMHO painting the fins is pointless as they will never be seen once the shroud/fans are in place.

Did you use any primer before adding the paint?

Thanks, No I didnt prime it I used krylon fusion suppsoivly you dont need to sand and prime with it. Im not going for the all out origional shroud which is why I painted the whole thing.

Here is what I plan to do incase youre wondering and didnt read the other posts.I will still be mounting the rad on the top inside of the case but cutting out the area of where the rad is. Then using the piece I cut out I will build a shroud that sticks up about 1.5" outside of the case. I have ABSOLUTLY no room inside the case for one so this is my only option pretty much.

did you paint the fins at an angle as to avoid the sparaypaint coating the internal totally vital-to cooling fins?? didnt think so

Nice try on being a smartass but actually I did.

DSC00821.jpg

Back