• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: seal the joint of res

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joeyao

Registered
someone ever used the "pipe joint compound---with Teflon "? The guy of Homedepot recommended it to me and said it should outperform Teflon tape we are familiar with. Or silicon sealant? which one should be the best for safety and has the least chemical effect with water in long term use.

As said what do you need to seal/fix exactly. Overall my favorite for threads is locktight and for non threaded suff "kwik" jb weld has never let me down and has always dried compleatly and been able to work fine in about 20-30 minutes.

I 'd like to seal the thread of the res

sorry man, I forget to mention it. To seal the thread of the barb on the res, I need to find the best one among these three? any idea?
IMO, teflon tape is safe with water and not permanent, yap this is its pro, but its con is not reliable, I know some people using CS750 pump in series find it almost impossible to stop leaking with it;
silicon sealant should be strong enough but no one mention whether it can get along well with the water in long term use, actually I refill the water every 9 to 12 months.
So I hope this "pipe joint compound---with Teflon " can be the one I am seeking.

Correct me if im wrong but you have a rad. which has a female fitting/hole and you need to thread a barb into it and dont want it to leak from the threading? Id personally use some BLUE locktight. Its non permanate and seals great.

creepy said:
Correct me if im wrong but you have a rad. which has a female fitting/hole and you need to thread a barb into it and dont want it to leak from the threading? Id personally use some BLUE locktight. Its non permanate and seals great.
what is BLUE locktight? can u give a link?

I have no link but I can prolly get you one quite basicly theres 2 kinds of locktight permante and non permante. The permanate stuff is red the non permanate stuff is blue. If you go to homedepot or whever and look in the little section of glue youll find it itll come in a small tube or bottle.

for your applications, id say some teflon tape on the threads, then a ring of silicone or that stuff creepy's talking about around the edge where the barb meets the res.

Back