• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there alternative to the NV-68 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech_Pen

Registered
I just helped a friend install a Danger Den NV-68 and could not believe the weight of that thing, unbelieveable.
Even more disconcerting was the sag of the card once the case was stood upright, it was enough to straighten out my short and curlys.
That being said I would really appreciate input on other Water blocks for the my 6800 gt.

Do you want the memory to be watercooled as well? If you don't then Silverprop fushion HL is a great GPU block. I believe Innovatek has a block that cools both memory and GPU if that's what you are looking for.

Last edited:
secretweapon said:
Do you want the memory to be watercooled as well? If you don't then Silverprop fushion HL is great a GPU block. I believe Innovatek has a block that cools both memory and GPU if that's what you are looking for.

I agree with this as well. I have the HL and it's awesome. There's really no need to WC the memory it doesn't yeild you any gains above a set of good aluminum or copper BGA heatsinks.

The NV68 is a great marketing gimmick but isn't a great performer or very pratical.

If you hget 2 of the clip kits, you just set them up from the corners of the block, into the 4 mounting holes. I had to remove the stock ramsink, but im gonna be replacing that with OCZ BGA ramsinks anyway, so its all good. Ill get a better pic when I get home.

you know, i've heard a lot of ppl using the NV-68, and i have yet to hear a complaint about a broken card.

Tech_Pen said:
Hows the mounting set up?? do you have a pic i could check out :)

thanks

Hard to get a good angle with it in the machine. Darn small cases. But here is what I could get, hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• silverprop1.jpg
    silverprop1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 136
  • silverprop2.jpg
    silverprop2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 119
hey guys sorry to move a bit off topic but I just bough a DD GPU block, one of those black ones. I was wondering if there is any significant difference between the 2?

JeffP said:
Hard to get a good angle with it in the machine. Darn small cases. But here is what I could get, hopefully it helps.

no problem bro...Thanks for the pics
i'm curious did you use one of to mountion brackets?

Achilles17 said:
If you hget 2 of the clip kits, you just set them up from the corners of the block, into the 4 mounting holes. I had to remove the stock ramsink, but im gonna be replacing that with OCZ BGA ramsinks anyway, so its all good. Ill get a better pic when I get home.

That would be awsome, thanks loads.
I went ahead and ordered one today only to find out it was cShipping from the land of aus ... Gerrr
Well at least its coming fedx air

Tech_Pen said:
no problem bro...Thanks for the pics
i'm curious did you use one of to mountion brackets?

I just used one mounting kit but would prefer two and probably will fix it next time I pull it apart. My temps are awesome now so no real problem. I didn't know at the time I could use two mounting kits to hold all four corners. On Silverprops website they only mention the the TEC version for all 4 corners. When in reality any of their blocks will work.

Jeff

JeffP said:
I just used one mounting kit but would prefer two and probably will fix it next time I pull it apart. My temps are awesome now so no real problem. I didn't know at the time I could use two mounting kits to hold all four corners. On Silverprops website they only mention the the TEC version for all 4 corners. When in reality any of their blocks will work.

Jeff
By any chance did you use ram sinks ... If so which ones.
I am lost with all the options also if i should use thermak tape or epoxy
im thinking thermal tape just incase i want to change my config again.

Tech_Pen said:
By any chance did you use ram sinks ... If so which ones.
I am lost with all the options also if i should use thermak tape or epoxy
im thinking thermal tape just incase i want to change my config again.

I'm using the stock heat sinks from Gainward. I pulled the thick thermal tape off and used AS5 thermal adhesive. A rather permanent solution and probably wasn't the best idea.

If your in the market for heatsinks for your memory by far I'd say go with the OCZ copper BGA heatsinks. Very nice units. Use the thermal tape that comes with them. If at a later time you change your mind and want that extra 2-3c drop on your memory you can do so.

Here's a link to them at Newegg

crap, I forgot to get those pics last night. At school again now lol, but I'll try and explain how it mounts. Basically, if you got the double clip kit, it mounts from each corner. Two of the corners, the front two, are elevated, so a piece screws on there that extends out and down. Then a piece goes on the non elevated corners that just goes out. Then, you stick screws through these pieces, through the mounting holes in the card, and secure it with a nut on the other side. These screws are all the same length through, as the pieces that attach to the corners of the card make it so all the screws attach at the same level.

Now that probably makes no sense and sounds real complicated, but its really simple. Screw piece A into block, put the screw into piece A, put the screw through mounting hole, attach the nut. Of course there are washers and such between the nut and card, etc, but its real simple. Check silverprop's site for a description. Or email [email protected], and ask him for a pic. Very helpful guy, and responds promptly (keep in mind he lives in AUS, so he might be asleep now or something, so he cant respond right away)

JeffP said:
I agree with this as well. I have the HL and it's awesome. There's really no need to WC the memory it doesn't yeild you any gains above a set of good aluminum or copper BGA heatsinks.

The NV68 is a great marketing gimmick but isn't a great performer or very pratical.

Agreed,
The samsung chips on the 6800ultra suck a whole 2w max, each.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Sem.../GDDR3SDRAM/256Mbit/K4J55323QF/K4J55323QF.htm

DL the pdf and go to page 45. Measured current draw at 2v ranges from 100mA to 970mA for various memory operations I dont understand. Thats the -16 version. The -20 consumes a little less. -16 is whats on the ultra cards.

Ok this is the pic I got from [email protected]. It is a top down view of the block with the double clip kit attached (attached on each corner).

clip.gif

As you can kinda see, the front two are elevated and the back two arent. Sorry if this is late, but I just wanted to make good on my promise lol

lol thanks bro
It looks like those screws are what hold the coper plate to the block is loosening the something that may give my concern for leaking ?

I know talk about a worrier

Tech_Pen said:
lol thanks bro
It looks like those screws are what hold the coper plate to the block is loosening the something that may give my concern for leaking ?

I know talk about a worrier

They are the same bolts that hold the top plate in place. You can just do one corner at a time and you'll never break the o-ring seal. No need to worry and a valid question.

You always leak test before going live with anything watercooled. If there is/was a problem you'd find it before hand.

Back