• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove ramsinks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mat1314

Ok. Heres the deal, i just purchased a DD GPU block and am now trying to fit it on the video card in my sig. Unfortunately I've got a couple of Iceberq ramsinks on that block the barbs of the water block. Could someone please explain to me what is the best way to remove ramsinks? They came with thermal tape and so I didnt use any epoxy or anything....does this mean it will be easier?

Should be. I'd soak the sinks in rubbing alcohol for a bit and see if they'll twist off. Can always put the card in a freezer to make the TIM even more brittle.

If I was going to do it, I'd use an X-acto knife. Work the blade underneath the sink and then twist the blade to try and pop the sink loose. I think that doing it that way would put less stress on the solder points of the chip. Just don't twist it so hard you snap the blade. That would be a Bad Thing(tm)

/never done it, has no proof it really is less stressful on the chip.

Back