• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me a story about HighLigher Markers and....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugsmasher

Tell me a story about HighLighter Markers and....

Aight,

I am one of THOSE.

I like bling in my WCing setup. I want it to look and perform well. I also like it to stand out. For all the "Water in your system?!?! Nuts!" comments I get I like to occasionally show someone my systmem and hear the "Whoa! Cool!" comments to balance out the whole thing. I also like to play around with my system so bling definitely adds something more to play with.

Now onto the meat. I was reading on one of these threads about someone who had used a standard non-toxic Highlighter marker to color his coolant. I decided to give it a whirl outside of my system due to my disappointement with most UV additives I had tried. I poured 1 liter of distilled water into a container and then dipped the nib of the highlighter marker in it for about 30 seconds. I then placed a UV light next to the container and was amazed. The order of brightness is ballpark 10 times the brightness of the UV additives I have tried to date. In short it looks great. My question boils down to if anyone has tried it in their systems for any duration. Have you seen any negative results in either corrosion or cooling performance? If you have done this then how long? Have you checked your block for corrosion? According to Avery (the brand of highlighter I used) their non-toxic non-paint base highlighters basically only have pigment in a non-corrosive solvent (the person I spoke to did not know the solvent however) and felt it was completely safe to use on metals.

Anyone?

For $1 the 'performance' in terms of UV brightness so far outweighs anything I have seen from the other $5+ additives I am very interested assuming it wont hurt my pump or add corrosion.

*sidenote- I also added some Hyperlube to the Highlighter/distilled water to check its effect on the brightness, as far as I could tell it had no negative effects.

Last edited:
Ive tried it before. It was a big joke for me but from what ive heard from other people it works great.

Finally got a pic...slightly blurry due to my camera but it gives you a good idea of how the solution looks. Yes, I did go ahead and put it in. In a week I am going to break down the system and check for any signs it was a bad idea :p

Distilled Water + HyperLube + Sanford Highlighter Marker (dipped for 30 seconds)

BTW, sorry about the mess that is my computer. I still havent gotten around to wire management. That will come soon assuming I dont find any other 'must' have items for the WCing setup itself. Still eyeing that Panworld PX40 :D

Holy crap, thats a nice setup.

I am thinking I am going to put highlighter in my uv sensitive tubing... lol

I think it actually might brighten up the tubing cause you can kinda see though it.

One kicker here is to only dip the nib to get the ink into the coolant. I have read about some people simply cutting open the marker and dropping the fiber ink 'core' of the marker into the res. The problem is that under the continual pressure of the pump the core will basically come apart sending the fiber through the loop which = big problems.

Make sure its just the standard transparent non-tox highlighter. The Sanford one (not Avery) worked fine for me so far. Will know for sure in a week when I crack my system open again to check for corrosion.

Here is the one I used-
Sanford Major Accent Flourescent Highlighter

I used the yellow marker for my system. I would suggest simply using the highlighters on a piece of paper or a very small cup of water to to test with some UV lights to see how it will look. Looking good so far here ;)

My coolant has a light light green tint from using Hyperlube + Iodine additives already. The highlighter yellow ink does turn the water to nearly the color of Mountain Dew. Its definitely not colorless when not under the b-lite.

I had a yellow highlighter thread up about one month ago. I pulled the fiber core out and squeezed it into a bottle. Only a couple drops and it lit up much brighter than the bottle of UV dye I paid $5 for. After one month it is still glowing very brightly and my system runs 7/24, so the dye is very well exercised. :) The tubing looks as clear as ever, so it isn't causing any clouding effect as far as I can tell.

Excellent!

Still gonna open my CPU block this weekend sometime to check on corrosion but I havent seen any telltale sights of any problems yet visibly or performance wise.

Iv had mine in thier for like a month and havent had problems no discoloration of the tubes or nothing. No temp change.

Btw have u guys noticed that UV cathods make youre tubes turn sorta brownish after a while, Like they got a tan lol the 2 tubes by my UV cathod are a light brown color

Strange Candyman.

I havent seen that yet but that doesnt mean its not happening. Just wondering...what type of tubing are you currently using? I have had mine up for a month so far and no discernable discoloration has jumped out at me but I havent really been looking for it either.

Hey Bugs you live in OKC? :) I grew up and lived there for 19 years... I'll be moving back down there to go to school in January and be with all my friends/family again.

CandymanCan said:
Iv had mine in thier for like a month and havent had problems no discoloration of the tubes or nothing. No temp change.

Btw have u guys noticed that UV cathods make youre tubes turn sorta brownish after a while, Like they got a tan lol the 2 tubes by my UV cathod are a light brown color

Wow, that is wierd. Mine shouldnt do that, if its tubing your SUPPOSED to put under uv light.... we'll see soon enough though.

Its some clearflex kind of tubing igot from Home depot. The rest of the tubes are fine just the tubes that are like like 1 inch away from my UV cathod are tuning brownish, its not a dark brown where i cant see the water anymore itsl ike a light tan brown, you cant see it when the pc is on and the case closed you have to open it up and look right at it in the light when the pc is off.

Back