• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New water cooling setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoner51

Well I'm almost finished with my WC setup, all but the fans. So I have some 80 fans and a 120 tt. So what the hell. Well I checked temps in bios before shutting down. 49.5. New temps in bios were 34.5. 15 degrees! oh thats with my 80 fan. I have two sanyo denki fans on the way but thought what the hell lets try. My temps have dropped from 41 to 34 @ idle and have not seem them get above 44. My setup 6002 waterblock, mcp650 pump 77 Bville heater core. will be 2 120 sanyo fans. Oh and quiet I have a 74 gb raptor that I've heard people complain was loud but I thought it was nothing compared to my fans. Now I can hear it. Still need to tinker some as my lines are twisted a hair. I will let everybody know something more later on the load temps but looking good now best $150 I've spent on this computer.

Are you using a shroud? From what youve said it doesnt seem as if you are. If thats the case id highly reccomend using one itll help the rad's performance out a lot.

not really a shroud but I have a rod going through the rad( 4 per fan and A 1 inch plastic spacer t keep the fans back off the rad some.

The main benefit of a shroud is that assuming it has the correct standoff between fan and radiator (about 1") it will eliminate the 'dead air' spot at the middle of each fan. This allows fairly equal airflow through the rad at all points which improves cooling. I believe it was Cathar (apologies if it was another WCer) who tested and found up to a 40% increase in rad performance (cooling) by using a well made shroud over not using one.

If you want to check its effect on your performance its pretty easy to make a Venturi type out of some re-enforced cardboard like the type normally used to make cheap checker boards. You can use some form of tape at the joins to seal it and some form of foam tape where the shroud meets the fan to seal that connection. For just a couple bucks you can decide if you want to purchase or make another more durable version.

Back