• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a very simple question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtatdsm

what does it mean if I turn the heaercore fans up or down, nothing happens to the temps? I mean a have a fan controler and setting the fan speed to the lowest then wait for like half an hour and watch nothing happens to the temp, then up the fans speed all the way to the max and wait just to see nothing happens to the temps? the temps change very easily with the AC in my room trying to keep a steady 25C temp that I have it set at (the room temps go from 24C to 26C then back again to 24C and so on. I can see the idle/oad temps change almost at a 1:1 ratio with the room temp, but changing the rad fan speeds does nothing. anyone

oh I am using shrouds at 2"
my current setup is Aquaruis III external watercooler with its rad moved and using dual heatercore instead, this is soon to be

Swiftech MCP650 12v DC Pump
Swiftech MCW-50
Swiftech MCW6002-P
MCW50-NV4045 (GeForce 6) Kit
HydrX Extreme Duty Coolant
Criticool Waterplant reservoir
Clearflex 1/2" ID Tubing - 15 feet
1/2" Stem to 1/2" Hose Barb Fitting
dual heatcore with 2 120mm fans

what you guys think of this setup as well? a lot better results than my aquaruis III??

It means that you have so much surface area from those radiators that they don't need that much airflow to keep the water near ambient temperatures. If you get the same temps from high speed or low speed, go with low speed and be nice to your ears. Do you see the same results under full load? That is where you might see a bit more of a difference.

I'm finding the same thing with my new external box with two dual heatercores. i can stop airflow for a minute and temps are only affected by a couple of degress ;)

aha, that does make sense. yeah I always keep my fans at the lowest setting tho (no reason not to huh) :)

one more I know almost everyone says using a pull fans work better, but not in my case, the push fans setup gives me almost 2C temp reduction over the pull setup.

as of today, my single dual heatercore/aquaruis III setup is showing at room temp of 26C

idle is 37 full load is 47C that's with a 3.2E D0 overclocked to 3.9 on stock vcore

one more I know almost everyone says using a pull fans work better, but not in my case, the push fans setup gives me almost 2C temp reduction over the pull setup.

Exactly....because thats in YOUR setup. By people saying ____ setup is the best most of the time they are just generally speaking from what has worked best for most people. Theyre not saying that itll work best for everyone.

creepy said:
Exactly....because thats in YOUR setup. By people saying ____ setup is the best most of the time they are just generally speaking from what has worked best for most people. Theyre not saying that itll work best for everyone.
It simply has to do with the case airflow. I would recommend that he looks at his case airflow, I bet it is obvious why his temps behave how they do, it should also be obvious how to get pulling to work for him.

I have only a chevette and with all the case fans controlled the diff between low and high is only ~1c

ls7corvete said:
It simply has to do with the case airflow. I would recommend that he looks at his case airflow, I bet it is obvious why his temps behave how they do, it should also be obvious how to get pulling to work for him.

I have only a chevette and with all the case fans controlled the diff between low and high is only ~1c

I guess you missed my point by me saying thats because his setup is differnt than everyone elses. I wasnt trying to tell him he needs more airflow...I think I know that. I was just replying to his "I know almost everyone says using a pull fans work better." statement.

Not to bring up the spectre of inaccurate temp measuring equipment, I would be concerned about a idle to load delta of 10C... that a bit on the high side IMHO.

Some questions come to mind:

What kind of fans?
Is the air flow through the rad originating in the case or outside the case?

Do you have a relatively equal level of air into the case and air out of the case?

I can only assume you are sucking air in from the room through the rad, and you are lacking appropriate case exhaust, thus negating alot of the benefits from running your rad fans at higher voltage. positive case pressure is good for keeping dust out, but bad for radiator airflow when used in an intake role.

Any pics would be of enormous help in pinpointing possible optimizations.

Oh, people I am running my Rads out of the case (external) sorry I should have mentioned that in my first here is how my setup looks like

post.
my.php

creepy said:
I guess you missed my point by me saying thats because his setup is differnt than everyone elses. I wasnt trying to tell him he needs more airflow...I think I know that. I was just replying to his "I know almost everyone says using a pull fans work better." statement.

I wasnt trying to say he needs more flow either, though I do see that is what it sounds like im saying. I was refering to what Guderian was talking about.

Having the rad outside of the case does change the theory alot...

How thick are your shrouds?

3.9 on stock vcore?

I don't have much experience overclocking P4's and I know D0's are good, but I have to ask, is that stable?

And not just day to day windows stable, but Prime95 stable?

If it is, I would love to see what you can do with a little more voltage. :beer:

well it's 2 hours prime stable, and that does not mean it fails after that, I just did not try it yet, I have been running at 3.9 on stock vcore for a couple of months now without a single freeze or restart (gaming hard and video editing/converting) my chip goes all the way to 260 (4.16) with 1.55 vcore but not very stable tho. 257-258 is it's max 3d benching stable with my current cooling setup. I will have some screenies soon tho.

Back