• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i was a cheap [Edited] and..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

ordered brown box rads.. so basically i got just the rad.. what do i use to mount a rad, shoud, fan onto my case? just long bolts with wing nuts or something?

Edit - Cheap though you may be, that's no reason to step around our swear filter. It's there for a reason, you know. -- Oni :sn:

Last edited by a moderator:
bolts, threaded rods cut to size, zip ties, string, various glues, and of course duct tape.

Any and all will work, though the first three seem to be the more prevalent.

I used threaded rod pushed through the radiator fins, shroud, then fan with a nylock-nut on each end. I used 6-32 threaded rod, but I think 4-40, being a bit smaller, would work better. The 6-32 is on the verge of being too big to fit between the radiator fins.

I usually use silicone to glue them all together...nice airtight seal. I'm patient enough to wait for it to cure. I've even used latex bathtub caulk (it's more easily removed, and is paintable).

Threaded rod would be my next choice, however. Just don't tighten it down enough for your fan shroud to bow and lose it's seal to the core.

I'll likely end up mounting mine w/ a simi-complacated force spreader setup and some sort of seal.
English: Ill probablly use threaded rods and have some sort of metal to spread the force of the rod over the heatercore, along with something to make an airtight/vibration absorbing seal.

so sorry oni, wasnt my intention to get around the swear filter... just trying to be humerous.. didnt realize it was considered a swear word

so for ppl using zip ties, do you actually use 1 long zip tie to tie the rad, shroud, fan all to the case? does that actually hold well?

I used 4-40 rods, and wow are they ever so much easier than 6-32. Tight enough so that at times you actually have to screw, so you dont feel like everything is just shaking around, but not so tight that you feel you are cutting into fins. Go to an ace hardware, because they wont usually hav ethem at places like home depot. Small hardware stores will have to look, because no one really ever asks for them, but theyll have them.

Try these from your local auto parts store.

mountrod.jpg

i saw those on frozencpu. those look like they act like a nut and bolt type of setup... but will it be sturdy enough to support a 120 rad, shroud and fan? doesnt look like it...

Yes, they'll hold it fine. They're made for tranny coolers full of oil...they're like zip ties but thicker. I used them once to hold an aftermarket fan on a car's rad, and they work well.

Back