• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question about Iwaki Water Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the 3/4" is quite unavoidable. 5/8" id tubing will squeeze over it with a lot of effort. 3/4" to 1/2" reducers are easy to find. best of luck with that.

by the way, you want the "Z" iwaki model because it's made for highest pressure. "L" is for highest flowrate with low pressure. the 30rzt has 36' of head.

Ok thanks

Anyone know where I could order some of those converters?

Last edited:
also, try boiling your tubes and stretching them over the barb. I did that with mine on my D4, with 3/4" barbs. Worked fine, just took a bit of effort.

crimedog said:
by the way, you want the "Z" iwaki model because it's made for highest pressure. "L" is for highest flowrate with low pressure. the 30rzt has 36' of head.

Not only that, you want to stay clear of the "WMD"... and make sure that any Iwaki you're interested in starts with "MD". The wmd's are geared more for flow as opposed to the md's giving out more pressure.

You expressed concern about too much flow/pressure....that'll end because your new problem "Will" be the loads of heat generated from that pump which in turn will be added to your loop. I'd advise and MD-15R or and MD-20R at the very most unless you had some massive rad that could handle the heat that the MD30 would spit out.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing but...

the WMDs are simply the Iwaki's with American made motors. They tend to run around 30% less than the MDs which use Japanese made motors.

Here is a link to a pretty nice guide that Cathar wrote up regarding the various popular pumps out there-

Cathar's WCing Pump Guide

I think the thing that really stood out for me was the dual MCP600's performance considering their relative price compared to many of the Iwaki's. Now consider the new iteration of the MCP600 which is the MCP650 nearly doubles the flow rate of the MCP600 at the same head rating and its a very interesting pump indeed ;)

You want the Z series, not the R. The Z is pressure (head).

Anyways, the inlet and outlet are threaded fittings. You simply need to get a 3/4 MPT (thread size) to 1/2" OD (barb size) fitting. Though I would use a 5/8" barb size for less restriction with 1/2" ID tubing.

The MD series is a little bit smaller, quieter, and cooler than the WMD series. However, both are fantastic pumps. The Iwaki's design has a plastic impeller area (heat does not transfer through plastic) so only the motor of the pump gets hot. They are also not loud at all (I have a 30RZT and it's not loud.)

If you can find 3/4" fittings with 1/2" ID barbs I'll love you.

yes, but one is male one is female

the only one i could find was a 220v version (european) off ebay for a good price, so I spent about $15 on a 200w power inverter.

Back