• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these water pumps should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ub3r-L33ch

So far I'm interested in these:

Swiftech MCP-650
Danger Den 12V D4
Eheim 1250

Whichever one I get its going to be going threw a dual 120mm Radiator, CPU Block, GPU Block, Chipset Block, and reservoir.

If one of these wont work give me some other choices please :)

IIRC the swiftech and the D4 are the same pump, (I may be wrong here and I can't search to find out due to being at work, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me).

As a 1250 owner; it is a good, reliable pump that does its job well. That being said, its rather large, and doesn't quite keep up with the other two in where it seems to count most these days (head). So in my mind, its a toss up between the other two.

Saw a link earlier today where someone was running 3 of those D4 pumps in series! Talk about zero restriction.

this and this might be what youre refering to.

I like my 650 although I've only been running it for about 6 days quiet and seems to do the job. and I'm running mine through a dual 120(77Bville hcore) I'm not cooling the VGA. temps never get above 43c. I am waiting to use the AC5 till after I make my box for the final install. the temps are for a Prescott.
also the 650 has a molex plug so you don't need a relay. that was a plus for me. turn computer and pump on with the power button and no add on card.

Guderian said:
IIRC the swiftech and the D4 are the same pump
Yep.

Guderian said:
and doesn't quite keep up with the other two in where it seems to count most these days (head)

The difference in flow is not that big if you only use 1 block, but with a dual 120mm Radiator, CPU Block, GPU Block, Chipset Block, and reservoir you're probably better off with a mcp650/D4

Running dual 120MM radiator, a gpu block, cpu block, and reservoir would you think the eheim 1250 would be enough, or should I get something like the D4 or MCP650?

Ok I've been doing some more reading this morning and it seems with the LR WW CPU Block and the fact that I'm going to have a dual heatercore, GPU Block, and a NB block I'm going to need a high pressure pump.

From what I've read its either going to be the:

MCP600
Danner Mag 3

There's one of the Iwaki models that seemed perfect (20RZ, I think?) but I cant find it anywhere and it wouldnt be much different anyways.

What do you guys think?

The Iwakis are incredible pumps, though a little expensive. They're pretty much the best out there though, so if you'd like to get one it's worth checking around on Ebay.

I have a Danner Mag 3 and it's awesome. It's a good idea to put some silicone caulking around the seal, which is easy to do, and after that you're set. Mine has been running 24/7 for probably around two years, and the only problem I've ever had is with the seal leaking when I didn't have any silicone on it. It's inexpensive and has great head height, and also doesn't draw power from your PSU like a 12v pump will.

just get the 650/D4 it's a very good and reliable pump. just like the 600 but easier to find now.

just get the 650/D4 it's a very good and reliable pump. just like the 600 but easier to find now.
Were you going to go to the trouble to find some reasons why? :p

Well... from what I've read in some tests/reviews the D4/650 may perform better but because the extra heat they add you'd be better off with the 600(Aquaextreme 50Z). Not to mention I hear they are a bit louder than the 600.

I'm not really sure how well the Mag 3 compares to the rest but it seems to have a slightly higher pressure. It doesnt run on the PSU which is a good thing but the ones that do run on the PSU are a little easier to use... but once you setup one to run with a relay switch its really no big deal... just as long as I get the one that works best for my setup.

It doesnt matter which of the 3 that I get:

Danner Mag 3
Aquaextreme 50Z (MCP600)
MCP650/D4

As long as it works the best with this:

Dual Heatercore/Rad
5 1/4" Bay Res
LR WW CPU Block
Silverprop HL GPU Block
Some NB Block

So can anyone tell me which I should get for maximum performance with that setup... noise/size/cost whatever else doesnt matter.

I would say yje MCP600 would give marginally better performance, it has slightly more head than either of the other two but less total flow but generates far less heat.
Here is a link to a lot of work Cathar has done on which pumps are best.

my vote goes for the Eheim 1250 i had one for a friends system, runs nice and quite with his setup i built for him,

Well hell I could probably research and ask questions til the cows come home on this... suppose I should just buy one and be done with it.

I think I'll go with the MCP600 ... based on Cathars formula's and testing it should do fine.... once I get everything setup if I dont like the pump it wont be hard to swap out for a different one if necessary.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Back