• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick DD Double Heater Core Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ub3r-L33ch

I was thinking about getting a thermochill or one of the Black Ice Extreme Radiators but it seems the general consensus is a heater core is usually better and they are cheaper but sometimes require a bit of work.

If I bought the Double Heater Core from Danger Den what all would be required for me to use it? Does it come setup so I can mount fans in it? I'm a noob at this so it cant be anything too serious. It looks like there is a package that comes with a shroud. If possible I planned on using 4 120mm Fans... it says that can be done with the thermochill.. would it be possible to do that with the heater core as well?

Holy crap dude give the guy a break.

The "double heatercore" should be able to fit two fans per side (4 120mm fans total). All danger den did was solder some barbs on a stock heatercore. It's not painted, and does not come with any shrouds, any fans, or any mounting hardware. But this is really easy to do if you have some cheap thin sheet metal and some long threaded screws and some nuts.

So to get the heatercore ready- you would need:

-Tubing to connect to the barb size of your choice.
-Something to mount the heatercore, shroud, and fans to your case (long bolts/screws and nuts).

That's it. I think Danger Den has some clear shroud kits- but they are a little expensive in my opinion, and also seem a little too shallow to be of any use. It's basically something you can do for a few bucks yourself with a pair of tin snips / dremel.

If you wanted to prep your own heatercore (like one you get at a auto parts store), all you need are 2 barbs (whichever size your planning on using), some flux, some solder, and a cheap propane torch. I did it myself (first time I had ever used a torch other than just burning stuff), and I succeeded with no problems encountered. I saved a few bucks and gained the pride of knowing I did as much of it myself as possible.

I know it's very confusing when you first start watercooling and you have a lot of questions. I wouldn't tell you to search if it hadn't been covered so many times before, asked by so many people just like you.
Please. Do us a favor at this forum and at the very least consolidate your questions to one thread.

Attachments

• threads.JPG
    threads.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 101
Back