• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need New Pump, Will MCP650 Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moony349

Right now I've got a watercooling project that I've been working on and I was using an Iwaki MD-30RZ. Unforunately, turns out that this pump has motor problems and is extremely loud. I need a new pump, and I was wondering if you think a single MCP650 will be able to handle my loop:

About 15-20 feet of 1/2'' ID tubing
2 x 2-342 Radiators
Copper G4 block
PolarFlo GPU block

Thanks a lot.

15-20 feet??? 2 2-342 rads??? i would think no. maybe 2 in series or something.... why do you have 2 2-342 rads? i bet you're losing a lot of flow with very little temp drop...

hey moony
I was just in your situation. I needed a MCP650 pump but I'll let you in on a "secret" that can save you time and money.
The MCP650 on all the other online stores all have 1/2" OD outlets... so it won't work on you system. What will work (and I just ordered it like 5 mins ago) is the MCP650-28 with 1/2" ID. I found mine at http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/mcp650-28.html
hopefully its the right one, I sent an email to them to see if what they are advertising is correct. I'll let you know when I get a reply

Talon101 said:
hey moony
I was just in your situation. I needed a MCP650 pump but I'll let you in on a "secret" that can save you time and money.
The MCP650 on all the other online stores all have 1/2" OD outlets... so it won't work on you system. What will work (and I just ordered it like 5 mins ago) is the MCP650-28 with 1/2" ID. I found mine at http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/mcp650-28.html
hopefully its the right one, I sent an email to them to see if what they are advertising is correct. I'll let you know when I get a reply
The link you provided is for a standard 1/2"OD MCP650.
100% of all Swiftech MCP650, and 99.9% of all Danger Den DD4 have 1/2"OD connections (for connection to 1/2"ID tubing), only Danger Den can provide it with 3/4"OD connections (for 3/4"ID tubing)...

PS: 3/8"OD MCP650 or DD4 do not exist, and connection of the pumps to 3/8"ID tubing is not advised.

CD :)

I got 3/4 OD, 1/2 ID fittings on my DD D4, and it works fine. I just had to stretch the tubing over the barb, by heating it up first. You probably get a little more flow though, as more water can exit the pump at once, so it cant hurt. you definitly dont get LESS flow, it just takes effort to get it on.

the mcp650 puts too much heat in the loop.

For a system like that Id just go with the MD-20RZ. If you want DC either give a MCP600 13.5v or just do dual MCP600s.

they really dont add that much heat, 7w isnt anything very noticable. When you are putting the mcp600 at 13.8v, it dumps about the same amount of heat into the loop anyway.

I need to see how you are making use of 20 FEET of tubing... do you have pics? Are you running it down to the basement for cooler ambients like some others who've posted? Very curious.

I talked to the tech he said they can't fix the motor because the seals are supposed to be permanent and I would need a new motor...and they wouldn't take an RMA b.c i bought it on ebay and don't really have any receipt etc. I have about 20 feet of tubing because I'm running the tubing in my computer which is on a desk to the actual rad box which is on teh floor a few feet away and about 5 feet downward plus the tubing inside the radbox which is 3 feet long...it adds up.

Back