• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k install shield

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

It seems that the windows 2000 install shield can become....problematic.

On this computer, i can no longer install power DVD, or anything else that requires the install shield. It "prepares" to "guide" me through the process, and gets an error.

0x80040706 Object Reference Not Set

Googleing it came up with several hits, saying that this and that should fix it...

Ive tried them all, and even repaired and then reinstalled windows (keeping settings)

I think it comes down to the service packs, is there an easy way to uninstall all of them, so that i cna redo windows update selectively?

Anything that comes with its own installer works fine. (microsoft 2000 office, winamp, ect)

i laugh at that method, but with 30+ packs, it requires a reboot after each.

i tried reinstalling something many times, but im not sure if it was that. whatever it was, half the time it wouldnt install because the installer locked up, the other half it diddnt use the installer and accomplished nothing. Ill try that asap, thanks for the link.

I heard to day the same computer got a memorey dump, but without acess to it i cant run memtest...i really hope it isnt hardware, i cant even afford a soda right now, let alone ram for her computer.

upgraded to windows zp pro. Same issue, its driving me up a wall...Any other ideas?

Como did you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem, InstallShield is such a POS

Back