• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp problem, virus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intox

when i boot up the computer, norton no longer initializes and when i try to access task manager, it closes right away before i can see anything. i am sure there is some type of exe file that is causing all of this, but i am not sure where to start looking, ive had a similar problem before but it was fixed with system restore. on this comp (not mine), system restore was disabled. i know there is a way to do it manually with the repair command when booting from the winxp cd. i have run norton in safe mode. there is obviously a process thats inhibiting it. any help would be appreciated. thanks

go to start then run and type in Msconfig then go to start up tab and deselect everything and only select nething u kno of or that u want starting up...the norton should be list as ADCHK and CCapp or something like that im sure you can see the string where the folder n file is located...also u might find the .EXE that is causing that so be sure u DO NOT ENABLE WHHAT U DONT KNOW....

the pandascan fixed it, thanks man turned out to be the sasser worm
also i DID try the msconfig but that was also disabled but all worked out now
i cant believe i didnt think of panda scan in the first place doh

I just finished reinstalling my dad's PC. It had W32.Beagle.xxxx on it, really good fun too! Formatting and reinstalling wasn't enough, you couldn't get NAV2004 working on a clean installed XP! Turns out the virus copied itself in the Master Boot Record on the HDD. FDISK/MBR fixed that sh!te...

Back