• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj_2004

Im about to get a TDX cpu block, Mag3 pump, and a dual 120mm Radiator. Will the dual perform a lot better than a single 120mm rad? Ill have the setup going like this: pump>cpu>rad>res>pump. Thanks

So what about using a tripple 120mm rad over a dual 120mm rad, with a similar setup?

I'm goign to be running dual 6800s using the WC system, besides what he listed.

Yes, it will help, but maybe 2-3 rather than 4-5 or 5-6. It may not be worth a) the price, b) the size, or c) the restriction. May need more than a mag 3 if you have a 120.3 AND not only a cpu but two 6800s and perhaps a NB. Thats the grand-daddy of restriction in the canon of possible loops.

eduncan911 said:
So what about using a tripple 120mm rad over a dual 120mm rad, with a similar setup?

I'm goign to be running dual 6800s using the WC system, besides what he listed.
Yes will make a difference, but not as big as going from single to double.

nikhsub1 said:
Yes will make a difference, but not as big as going from single to double.
But moving from the in-adiquate ThermalTake Aquarius III to a 120.3 setup with 1/2" tubing. :D

The MAG 3 pump, is that the SwiftTech / Danger Den's D4 type pump? The D4 is what I'm getting for my system. THinking about two, but will try one for now.

Ps, sorry to hi-jack the thread. :clap:

They are different pumps, the Mag 3 is cheaper, as it is an aquarium pump, and about as powerful. However, it does have its disadvantages. First, its AC, not DC, which is fine for some people, but i thought a DC pump would just be a bit easier. Second, it does have some leaking problems. This can be fixed with sealant, but I wasnt up for that and just got the D4 that works great out of the box. I dunno about noise of the Mag 3, I think its about the same as the D4, although it might not have that annoying whine the D4 has. I went with the D4, but if you are really dedicated and on a budget, I guess go with the Mag 3. I felt it was worth the extra money to get the mor ereliable, more compact D4, but if you are up for spending time optimizing your pump and money is an issue, get the Mag 3.

My Mag 3 is virtually silent sitting on a 2.5 inch piece of foam. I cant imagine a pump being any quieter than this.

well my D4 is silent, except for that damn whine, but thats the only thing I can hear from the pump and you can only hear that above the fans 7v'd if you listen for it specifically real hard. But again, I am coming from a 92mm tornado, others' ears might be a tad more sensitive...

Ok changed setup (that was quick :) ) and am now going to use a Dtek WW with a Mag 3 and a 3.5 res (already have). All 1/2", so would a dual rad ( like this: http://www.dangerden.com/images/heater_core/dbl_heater_core_lg.jpg vs a black ice extreme single 120mm) only perform about 2-4*c less than a single? My case is pretty small and it would be a lot of trouble adding a dual in it and wont be worth only a 2-4* temp change.

I would try to distance myself from IMO the D4 screamers. If you, like myself, have adopted WCing for not only really much iimproved performance but also to reacht he point where you have to look at the power led to tell if its on, then you are gonna want to stick with aquarium and mags, pretty much anythign else ive heard is.... noticable. I am the opposite of the Cooling forum delta maniacs, the healthy PC noise position is somewhere in the middle.

:)

The MCP650 is reported to b einnaudible IIRC. It was the older D4s that have the whine and these are no longer available.
Ill tell you what the D4 beats the heck outt aany popular EHEIM and everything else short of an iwaki and Aquaxtreme

no, the newer D4's still have the whine, at least mine does and its manufacture date is 8/04. The muffled ones began production around 1/04, and the noisy ones were phased out completly around 6/04. Mine does have a whine, yes, but that is the only noise it makes, so thats just natural pump noise, just high pitched. And again, I cant hear it over my denkis, so im not complaining.

Back