• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding Win98 on an XP system for dual boot.How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Runner30

Hello.
I bought a computer with an existing XP install, I do not wish to change it, because I don't (yet) have the hardware drivers.
I DO wish to add a Win98 partition and be able to dual boot.(to be able to run sertain program)

Is it possible to do it on existing XP setup? like this:

1.Shrinking a partition.
2.Adding a FAT partition at the end.
3.Running Win98 install from a floppy/Boot-CD.
4.Running the WinXP CD and re-activating XP mbr.
5.Editing the boot options in system option, adding a win98 boot.

If so, can there be problems:

1.Booting Win98 from >1024 sector (10GB disk) ?
2."Screwing" existing install with "repair" option on Win XP cd?

I would like to hear comments from an experienced user, because this computer was a server for some computer company, and I'm not sure I can find a driver for it's super-duper NIC,mobo,etc, I would also like to use existing licensed software without erasing it, as far as it's legally possible.

Thanks in advance.

...the only way to add 98 after XP is with 2nd party software such as Partition Magic, UNLESS XP is installed on a HDD formatted with FAT32, which I doubt is the case with your system...

...as for legalities, I'm in Canada, I have no idea what your laws are like concerning transfer of software, but if this was a server for a computer company, I doubt you own the software on it, unless they gave you the OEM CD's with the system...

Well, you should be able to use a third party software to make/re-size your partitions. Once this is done, format the partition that 98 will be installed on in FAT32, If possible, leave the XP partition in NTFS, this will ease the installation of Win98, as it will be the only partition that 98 can see/install on. Normally I would install 98 first on a partition, then XP on the next partition. XP gives you the choice of what partition to install on, 98 does not.

you can install 98 after XP is installed. Only issue is that 98 will try to take over the bootloader options so after you install 98, you'll have to go to the recovery console and run fixmbr and bootcfg /rebuild so that your bootloader is set back to XP.

Of course, like already mentioned, you'll have to find a third party tool to repartition your drive.

Just get another harddrive for , that's what I have on multiple pc's. Then at boot I change the boot sequence to which ever OS/drive I want.

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately I can't afford another drive, so I'll probably do as Know_Nuttin suggested.
I hope that the guy that sold me the computer will give me the software CDs, as the software is fairly old.

Last edited:
Back