• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcw50 and 6800 kit question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jbroad572

I am trying to put the retention frame but it will not go on, not even with a hammer. the back of the gpu is a little scratched now :(. seems like if the 2 inlet outlet plugs came out it would go on just fine. Any tips?

CandymanCan said:
A hammer ?? Umm ok dude unless you want a dead 6800 i suggest you dont do that.

Did you get it to go on now ?
Yea, I didnt use a hammer on the 6800 only on the mcw50 and the retention plate. I got it on though, without either ;)

Do you have to take off the stock ram cooling to install this waterblock-kit on the card? I really want to watercool my 6800, but I don't want to spend $60 on the block and then have to buy $20 of ramsinks to cool the ram.

Thanks
Tipycol

Well the stock ram sinks come off with the fan of the 6800, so you can either leave your ram uncooled or buy ramsinks.

The ram actually doesnt get very hot and for me the ramsink was actually making the temps worse on my emmory. Once i took it off i could oc my mem higher.

i agree with candyman most newer ati card dont have anything and the thermal gause like stuff just seems to insulate it.

yeah, I would put something on it. If nothing else just cut up an old stock heatsink and AS Epoxy that on the ram, or just get some in the classifides for cheap. I got the OCZ copper BGA ones, but anything would work probably.

CandymanCan said:
The ram actually doesnt get very hot and for me the ramsink was actually making the temps worse on my emmory. Once i took it off i could oc my mem higher.

Hmm well you're using a 6800 GT ;), which means you have GDDR3 memory. My 6800 came with DDR1 memory, so it uses more voltage and produces more heat :(, so I'd like to keep it cooled with something. I know what you're saying though about the core heating up the memory if you just have on big heatsink cooling the card.

Back