• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Talon101

Hey guys, been reading alot and getting alot of info. So finally (about 3-4 weeks ago) broke down and bought all the things to make myself a kick *** wc system! :p
Well I got the stuff (in my sig) and everything has a 1/2" ID fitting. I was all set and waited for my final component, the mag3 pump. Well after 2 weeks of waiting, with the mag3 still a noshow, I emailed the company (bigalsonline.com) and found out that they don't ship to APO boxes :bang head . Why couldn't they post it on there page?!
Anyway, went with my 2nd choice, a MCP650 :D. and after just 5 days of waiting (which is a record btw), got my pump today!!
Well I was so excited that I didn't notice that it had a 1/2" OD outlet/inlet. Well after swearing for a few, I read the instruction and it said that there was a kit available to convert the outlets to a 1/2" ID. My question is, I found this converter (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/1odto1idco.html) and wondered if it'll work with my setup. Would it go something like this? 1/2"ID hose -> converter -> 1/2" OD -> pump.
I have to do this for both inlet/outlet and was wondering is it even worth it? I mean to have that much hose, cramming it all into my case and having to convert it to go into my CPU block. What do you guys suggest?

Go with the converter. Its either that or send the pump back and find another pump with 1/2 od fitting on the pump. Depending on your case size and loop layout, the converters and 6 inches of the larger tubing will add less than a foot of length to your total loop length.

Have you tried putting the hose in boiling water and then trying to stretch it over the barbs?
step 1: boil water

step 2: stick one end of the tubing in the water, submerging about 4" of it

step 3: leave it in there for about 30 seconds

step 4: take it out

step 5: put it over the barb you want to put it on, and it should fit easier

This is for putting tubing on an oversized barb, say 1/2" ID tubing over a 3/4" OD barb. But you could apply this same method to boiling it prevent kinks, just boil the part you want to bend in a special way, then bend it how you wish. Hopefully it should become a little more rigid and stay like that, causing less kinks.
There is a small guide copied from one of Achilles17's posts.

Last edited:
yea I thought about it, but I think it would cause undue stress on the tube that "could" possible lead to cracks or tears over time (I'm no expert by any means), but i did find this, http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/mcp650-28.html
same pump put with a 1/2" ID outlets. I emailed them to see what they advertise is correct and will let the forum know :)

Maybe i'm missing something here, but whats the problem with putting 1/2" ID hose over 1/2" OD barbs ? That should fit perfectly.

DarkJester said:
Maybe i'm missing something here, but whats the problem with putting 1/2" ID hose over 1/2" OD barbs ? That should fit perfectly.

Is that 1/2" Inner Diameter n 1/2" Outer Diameter...?
If thats the case, then it wont fit.

So when you say all your fittings are 1/2" ID, they are 3/4" OD (usually the case)? Fittings are typically measured by their OD of the barbs (not the ID of thier hole), since its important they match up to the proper hose, which is usually measured by it's ID. They do make those pumps in 3/4" OD fittings [which would be perfect since you seem to have 3/4" ID tubing], so see what you can do about returning/exchanging it for the other model. If my assumptions are wrong, start over by giving us the ID and OD of the pump barbs you need, and the tubing you have, not just either the ID or OD selectively.

FYI that converter is for converting smaller ID tubing (3/8" ID) to bigger ID tubing (1/2" ID) "to the new MCP600 pump, which utilizes 1/2" ID fittings." That last statement is misleading from what I've seen, since all MCP600's should have barbs that measure 1/2" OD (and about 3/8" ID). I think this is just a case of mixing ID & OD tube/barb measurements impropperly (in symantics, not physically).

Have you tried fitting your tubing over the barb? Because it SHOULD fit well, assuming you have 1/2" ID tubing as you said, and the pump barbs are 1/2" OD. Think about it, you have half an inch of space on the inside of your tube, and the pump barb is half an inch wide. Thus, it should be a perfect fit. I got the 3/4 OD barb for my pump, but I had to do that boiling trick above in order to get my 1/2" ID tubes on the barb.

Now, if you have 3/4" ID tubing, then you will need either a) a convertor, or b) a new pump. The convertor would definitly do, but if you are really against it for some reason you could probably send back the pump in return for the new one, and pay a small (10-15% or so) restocking fee.

Back