• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got 80 bucks to put together a WC system..any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Npetune3000

Hey guys, I was told to consult this section for a DIY water cooling solution.

I've been wanting to go WC but did'nt think i could affodr it. however, I was wondering if you guys could recommend some parts for a budget WCing system thats meets the following:

--Not too Loud
--Allows good OCs
---SAFE, wont set my pc on fire :-/

thanks

do not get a kit there was a thread for wc setup for under a hundred do a seach, im sure there are similar threads

For 80$ its not easy, but imo Top of the line air cooling will get you temps just louder. I agree save some more money, A good W/B is 40-50$, decent pump is 35-45(Mag3), dual 120mm heatercore 20, 10-15$ for fans, tubing, ect...

to make a cheap but good system you have to DIY. if you want to save money, look on ebay for a secondhand cpu block, get something like a Hydor pump, use a heatercore, not a radiator, order tubing from a supply place, get clamps from a hardware store. you can out together a solid sytem for a little over $100 if you shop right, but any less and you're skimping somewhere.

if you wanna go cheap:

pump: $20 (via aqua 1300)
cpu block: $40 (swiftech mcw6002)
heatercore: $20 ('86 Chevette HC)
Tubing: $10 (Clearflex60 1/2" ID)
Fan: $10 (120mm Sanyo Denki)
Assorted other things you probably have lying around or can get real cheap (hose clamps, antifreeze, etc)

I know i recommended a rather expensive block (its actually very cheap, just expensive next to the other stuff), but its a very good deal. One of the best blocks out there for a great price. If you spend an extra $20 and get a Danner Mag 3 instead, then you have got yourself a damn good setup. If you have room, you could even put in a double heatercore, which is the same price, but you would wanna get the '77 Bonneville. You would also need an extra fan, but thats only $5 more. Oh, and a shroud, you could probably make yourself. So for about $120 you can get a damn good wc setup, but you would have to mod the HC yourself, and seal the inside of the pump with sealant (it sometimes has leaking issues). Great if your on a budget though.

the stuff achillese recomended is about the cheepest setup you are gonna get and it doesnt include any hidden costs like hose clamps or making a relay etc etc but is about the cheepest you will see . if you happen to see anything on the net cheeper its probly broken fake or just plain horrible so like everyone else here i would suggest saving up a little more .

doing your water right the first time can save you a lot of hassle in the long run and money too

My opinion is put your money into a good pump, because it makes a much bigger difference than your waterblock. An Eheim 1046 with an MCW6002 will not produce the same temps as an MCP650 or Mag 3 with a Maze block. Neither is ideal. You want a good block with a good pump, and it's worth doing it right the first time since it'll save you money in the long run. Save up at least $150 so you can do it right with good quality parts the first time. Then you won't have to upgrade later because performance isn't what you thought it would be.

But if you can only afford one expensive part, make sure it's the pump.

I had gone super cheep on my setup, and really like how it works.

$15 for a 170gph fountain pump from Home Depot.
$1.89 for cheap Home Depot Vinyl Tubing, 10' x 3/8" I.D.
$1.95 Copper Cap, 2", Home Depot W/2" Brass Door pull (2/$5). How I Made It
3/8 copper tubing, left overs from kitchen sink replacement.
hose clamps, had 'em.
underground Junction box, left over from putting in sprinkler system for yards-about $7.98 if I bought it at Lowes or Home Depot.
JB Weld, left over from fixing stupid plastic radiator on family car.
Antifreeze, left over from fixing stupid plastic radiator on family car.
about $7.00 for Toyota Heater Core from Ebay, including shipping!!
cooled by 2 hard drive fans (free- mis-shipped from an order from a now defunct wholesale website [ordered 2, got 60!]no wonder they are out of business!)
A Lot of reading-OCForums & I was hooked on my Tru-Ghetto Cooling methods! Now temps will sit about 41c under load, but have sometimes gone to as much as 47c. (rarely), while I include a little Folding. Idle temps have been hovering around 34-38c, but are going even lower lately. It could be because of the winter season. :clap: :santa2:

Pro*Banshee said:
5 gallon bucket - Free at Construction site
6' Tubing - $10 at home depot
Viaaqua 1300 - $32 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43555&item=4335155824&rd=1)
DD RBX (A64 top) - $52 shipped
Hose clamps/misc - $6

$100 setup. Bucket WILL work passivley, except temps will be on the high side (40c). This setup held me for a bit until I got my l35/radiator tower

Or you can steal my via and get it for free..
'sall good though, damn broken leaky impeller housing

I don't think you can do it for $80. Save your money read peoples posts and decide what you want. Get what you want and you won't be dissapointed. I spent about $ 160 on mine. got some tubing from Home depot, make sre you get the thick walled or the pump will collapse the thin stuff. Get a rad from autozone. If you already have fans you can use those. Even without fans you will get cooler temps, and less noise. Get a good pump. I think for $80 you could get everything but the pump. Do some research then get the pump you want. It also depends on how much you want to OC. My 3.2E(the hot one) runs @ 32 and 42 @ load, at 3.97. On air the temps would reach 63 idle was 39-41. Milder OC might not need a dual 120 rad. Stay away from kits if you are looking to Keep $ low.

Just to follow up on the pump comments... I got a L20 mostly for noise and size, but also for the price element, and while my deltaT's are very good, I am already beginning to think about how much better it would be with a Mag 3 after only 3 weeks of "up and running." If I were you I'd save that little bit more, make sure you buy some sealant, and get the Mag.
:)

I org thought it would cost me around 200 to go water but it does seem there are a lot of little hidden costs. Distilled water, hose clamps, antifreeze, misc nuts bolts and other stuff for mounting, cost of fans and the fine tooth 12in tablesaw blade I had to get when I noticed my plywood blade would destroy the plexiglass :)

I am with the group of people who will tell you do it right or don't do it at all. I'd save up another 80.00 and then try it with 160.00 using a Chevette core. I pretty much agree with Achilles17 but I'd go for a L35 pump and a Danger Den TDX instead of the mag drive and Swiftech but really you can't go wrong with either. One thing he left out is GPU block and the entire point for me to WC was to drop the temp on my gfx card so I'd factor in an additional 45-50 for a GPU waterblock but if you aren't worried about it then you can skip it.

Back