• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What things must you tweak in Windows before using it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

...Assuming you have all of your drivers etc.
I'm mighty picky I guess, are you?

In no particular order:

- Contents MUST drag with mouse, this really drives me nuts.
- I need the full adress "C:\program files\program\subfolder\" in the address bar, but in the titlebar I only need the name of the folder I am in "Subfolder."

- I need the extension viewable, editable really. I do this more often that I would assume most people do.

Hide Documents, and Help(??) from the Start menu, as well as anything that may have added itself there.

-Delete every icon from the desktop, leaving only My Computer, Recycle Bin, and My Network Places.

-Delete all quicklaunch icons.

-Delete everything in the start menu that CAN be deleted, except for the programs that I have installed, in which case only a shortcut to the actual program is left.

- Delete all the readme.txt files I can find, as well as any other files I may deem as clutter(This includes, but is definitely not limited to anything in my documents, the 'media' folder, and any help file I can toss.)

- Replace the folder.htt file found in Program files, WINNT, and System32 with the one found in the Web folder(This way I don't have Microsoft telling me how crazy I am for wanting to go in here)

-Disable every sound that the computer wants to make. I want to hear my music, not an obnoxious DING!

- Hide all icons by the clock, including the speaker.

- I go pretty crazy with my browser's view. The only addon I ever use is the Google Toolbar, and I really try and maximize my page-viewing space, while still maintaining functionality.

This paired with the MX700 and the knowledge of a large portion of the keyboard shortcuts really makes anything else unnecessary to me. The only reason I keep the back button is so I can jump back several pages at a time. This esepcially comes in handy on those webpages that redicrect you too quickly.

I'm sure there is A LOT more, but we'll see what you guys have. Any recommendations or tips?

P.S.
This thread officially makes me a nerd.

Attachments

• browser.jpg
    browser.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 148
-Superman said:
click my start menu > properties > Customize > Advanced >

uncheck List my recently opened documents

:D
LOL I do that too, it was more important when i kept a journal on this computer and didn't want anyone to know it existed, but It's useful for keeping my privacy if any of my friends come over too. :)

I add all my storage partitions to the send to menu.I also create a new folder on my desktop called programs and drag all the icons in there that install to the desktop,install Startupcpl and get rid of all the crap on the taskbar.Install only virus software and firewall to OS drive and everything else to D/.

-Superman said:
Udma ?

click my start menu > properties > Customize > Advanced >

uncheck List my recently opened documents

:D

For you and shoeby.

Start - run - GPedit.msc

Administrative templates - Start Menu & Taskbar.
From here you can actually hide the Documents option from the start menu, making your start menu even more tidy.

I like to start by going to the Admin window and unchecking the messaging service, damn them popups. I clear the tool bar on IE (I'm going to be using Mozilla very soon) except for the forward, back, stop, refresh, home, search, and media buttons. I'm partial to the Verdana font also, so I have to go and change that. I clear the sounds, me no like dingy's, chimes, thunks, clunks, and whatever Microsoft thought I wanted to hear. I take away the background pic and put a black screen on there. I always show hidden folders ( I don't like things hiding from me, I think it's my paranoia). I also go to msconfig>boot.ini>click on /noguiboot. I need my quick launch on my tool bar and I can't stand it when things are grouped. I'm also partial to the "classic" start menu. I also do what you do and get rid of all that other stuff like "sample blah" and "example of duh". Details view is a priority, it's so much easier than the other views. That's all I can think of for now.

tom10167 said:
For you and shoeby.

Start - run - GPedit.msc

Administrative templates - Start Menu & Taskbar.
From here you can actually hide the Documents option from the start menu, making your start menu even more tidy.

Thank you Tom, much more tidy now. :beer: cheers!

Uninstall all useless programs, clean up after the uninstaller :rolleyes:, and defrag the drive.

That, and everything else mentioned :D
JigPu

Uninstall all useless programs,

I don't get this. Wouldn't uninstalling Windows directly after installing it a bit pointless? ;)

First I disable desktop themes, then install Litestep, Directory Opus and Firefox to replace all 3 instances of explorer.exe totally: shell, filemanager and browser.

Back