• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows crashed and I cant reinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ursine3000

I was just using my computer one day and it turned off for no reason, when I tuned it back on it hung up at the very moment the Windows XP loading screen cme up. I have tried reinstalling windows and reformating the hard drive but nothing helps, it keeps hanging up on that screen, any ideas? :bang head

Oh yeah, and I reset the mother board and I set the BIOS setting to fail safe and still no help.

Was it acting a little slower or anything like that prior to just shutting down?Also, are you using XP?Home?

It is XP Pro, I am using the disk to reformat, and what thing could break and cause a problem, most of my computer is pretty new.

It sounds to me like your hard drive called it quits. It also happened to me and when I installed a new drive, presto, good as new.

Can you boot into safe mode by holding down F8 as soon as the bios finishes loading? If so, it may be a driver issue.

You might also try removing the power cord, removing the CMOS battery on your motherboard, and moving the CMOS clear jumper to clear and back. Replace the battery and see if the problem is resolved.

Well the hdd is fine because I tried installing it on another hdd and it had the same problem, could the cpu be causing a problem like this?

No it will not boot into safe mode, it hangs up at the same spot.

Is the system overclocked? Is the CD you are using to install XP from bad? Are the proper chipset/hardware drivers installed for your mother board? Bad power settings(BIOS or XP)??? Failed or failing hardware? Loose memory or slotcards(could have happened during the new HDD installation)? Loose plugs or wires?? Etc???

Z

...how about booting into your BIOS and watching the temps for a bit, see if your CPU isn't getting real hot, real fast. What are you using for a TIM between the CPU and heatsink? Is the fan on the heatsink working? I take it that you obviously already have the cover off your tower, make sure the fan is spinning...

The system is overclocked but since this problem I have reset the bios and all the clocking back to default. As for cooling, I have a Cooler Master Hyper 6 cooling tower with dual fans and almost pure copper thermal grease, so I dont think it could be a cooling problem, but I will check it out anyways.

My XP cd should be fine, I build computer game systems and its the same cd I always use but I will try another one just in case. As far as failing hardware, everything in my computer is new except the cd-roms, do you think those could case something like this?

Also, I just recently put a Zalman air cooler on my videocard, could that be not cooling it enough and causing a problem?

...I doubt it's the vidcard, seein how you don't make it to Windoze, you're never out of 2D mode, so your vidcard isn't stressed at all...

...be nice if you had the option of dropping the CPU in another mobo, or swapping the CPU for another one. I'm not a brain surgeon, but I figure a mobo/CPU prob here, be it heat, or something just gave up... :(

ursine3000 said:
As far as failing hardware, everything in my computer is new except the cd-roms, do you think those could case something like this?

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not defective. It may just be that something is incompatible with something else.

Back